Author Topic: Wild Rose?  (Read 2501 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Wild Rose?
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:26:50 pm »
I was gifted a big bundle of what I think is wild rose. Its the greenish/reddish stuff with thorns on it. I scraped all the bark and cambium off the shoots and bundled them in similar groups of six. How long do they take to season and dry? I have never used them but wanted to try. Im a rookie at primitive shoot shafts. So please enlighten me if you would.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Wild Rose?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:36:07 pm »
With the bark on it takes about 8 weeks in the summer.  W/O bark it should be less time and it's winter so it's dryer now too.  I usually leave the bark on.  Seems to me that they stay a little straighter.  Unbundle them a few times a week and hand straighten them while they dry, that seems to help too.  Also make sure there is no twist in them when you get them bundled back up.  Rose is a little light, but they seem pretty tough to me. 

Good luck, dpgratz (better known to you as rockstar!)  ;D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:37:54 pm »
Thats fast! Thanks rocker
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:10 pm »
You'll be able to tell when they are dry.  When you go to straightn them they should not spring right back to their natural curve as easy when they are dry.  dpg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:55:57 pm »
Are wrapped self nocks okay with this stuff?

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:06:55 pm »
That's what I use.  Since you peeled the bark already, I hope they are a little long, I've found that they check a little worse when debarked.  You're ready arn't cha?

;D ;D ;D dpg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 01:26:36 pm »
They are all at least 34-40" long and various diameters.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 01:32:06 pm »
You're GOLDEN then Brother.  8) dpg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:32:28 pm »
Cool. Now we wait.............

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:03:22 pm »
  WILD ROSE dose take longer to season than others. But
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 02:11:36 pm »
Im in no hurry at all. I have four bows going, some sourwoods and some spruce arrows. I can wait for months if need be.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:12:56 pm »
  I was told to leave the bark on. This helps after you staighten and bundle them. They dry straight. I don't know because I've never took the bark off. Some woods will check like a stave when barks removed. It's like when you shot alm. and your use to shooting a 2216 and when you shoot one it comes out of your bow like a 2016.
  You can make nice arrows from ROSE it is a little brittle and light. To light for me as a hunting arrow. I would think theyed make awesome flight arrows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 05:36:35 pm »
Can I use the diameter of the shoots to roughly spine them if I know what one is? Are they similar in that way?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 03:59:04 am »
Hey Pearly, I read somewhere to scrape all the bark off except for the last inch or so on each end and they will dry faster without checking on the ends.  I tried it on some and it worked.  Mine never made it to arrows, they were all to weak on the spine.  I'm going to try it again with thicker pieces.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:33:46 pm »
I have so many diameters to choose from I should be able to get some shooters. I have a light weight ash bow that may be perfect for these shoots.