Author Topic: first recurve  (Read 3179 times)

Offline jturner

first recurve
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:30:08 pm »
this is the one from an earlier post 62" 3" static tips. this is my first attempt at a recuve.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline jturner

Re: first recurve
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:31:58 pm »
and a couple showing string alignment so far at 1" brace, just got it roughed out. still way heavy.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:34:21 pm »
Check your limb thickness from side to side. A little variance there can make a big difference on string alignment.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jturner

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:03:26 pm »
here it is at a low brace 3 1/2" to back of bow, having trouble getting the limbs the same.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:06:18 pm »
looking good, keep after it, with a last name like turner, you oughta be good at bending them!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline jturner

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:14:12 pm »
That right limb is giving me fits, cant get it to match the other
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 11:17:15 pm »
get it braced up a little higher and try a little heat and a tweak.  dont sweat it too much though, a self recurve is bound to have a little twist ;D
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline jturner

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 01:20:57 am »
thought I posted this but didnt show up. Im still having trouble balancing the limbs, left is 6" to belly at fade right is 6 1/4" where do I need to remove wood?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 01:27:40 am »
The entire left limb is too stiff.  The right limb is bending too much coming out of the fades so you need to scrape from midlimb towards the recurve. When they're as different as you have it is very easy to miss your draw weight trying to get things to even out.  Has the right limb taken any set?  It's real easy to get set getting the bow to bend too much off the fades early.  I'd work outboard on that right limb first but would also keep removing wood from the left limb to get them closer to balanced. 

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 01:28:52 am »
I it were me I'd take eavely off the left side of the pic by filing or scraping most of the length...but stagger in a few 1/2 length strokes towards the grip.

POSSIBLY some off the Rt. limb from the 1/2way out point.  Left limb first.

Offline jturner

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 01:39:54 am »
the right limb has a little set, I took some wood off the outer 1/2 of the right limb got it closer, still have quite a little weight to lose just tryin to get it balanced . its tracking around the curves good, should I have groves on the belly side of the limbs? I dont have yet and its tracking good
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline jturner

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 02:47:36 am »
I think its getting there, still pretty heavy. taken a lil set so far but I figured on that, because I didnt reflex this one started flat
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 03:41:51 am »
looks a little stiff left mid limb....
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 05:46:55 am »
Left limb needs some wood removing from around 6 inches from the grip/fade to the tip.
You are closer to finished than you might think. Set will always occur in the weakest spot first. Keep a very close eye on where the set is and scrape everywhere else.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 11:03:13 am »
I agree. Mid limb left side is a tad stiff. Giive it a few scrapes and call it your bottom limb for now. Remember draw weight starts early on recurves and can be deceiving.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.