Author Topic: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully. ** DONE **  (Read 158272 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully.
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2012, 10:05:49 am »
You're the man, PD! I can't wait to see the finished product!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2012, 10:08:01 am »

Definitely a masterful backing.. I am curious about one thing though. I have heard many people say that when you sinew back a bow you have to go over the sides since the sinew shrinks as it dries..  I always thought that this would be kinda ugly.. It seems you have left your corners exposed however, and I like the look much better... In your experience does this work as well?

Jon

Jon that sinew is right to the edge, its very clear. I build it up towards the center to create a crown. There is one layer on the last 1/4" of width on both sides. I never leave my edges totally exposed. I will narrow the bow slightly after the sinew sures and dries. If I had more sinew I would have draped it over the edges slightly as you read about, its the right way in my mind as well. After it cures you can clean them back up flush with a scraper or sanding block.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2012, 10:12:05 am »
You're the man, PD! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Thank you. The truth is guys like Art, Pat, Pappy, Steve, Gordon, Matt, Marc and such are the MEN. I wasnt born knowing this stuff. Those guys pouring info out for years on the internet and magazines makes it all possible for me and anybody who wants to take time to read and retain. Its ALL there if you look.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2012, 01:07:37 pm »
Very modest of you - but I would include you in the list of names you quote.  Thank you for taking the time to do this.  It means a lot to me, and I daresay, to many others as well.

Russ 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2012, 11:00:06 pm »
Im very pleased with my sinew results after 7 days and very high humidity, over 70% for 3-4 days. I had a 1/4" gap between the bottom of my handle and my bench when I sinewed the bow. After only 5 days the bow had reflexed more and loosened my string holding the bow in reflex. I removed it from the bench and the last 2 days it has spent in our sun room warming up and hopefully shrinking down  >:D. That is a 12 oz. pop can under the bow. There is about 3/4" of air between them. Once our humidity drops and levels off I will tiller it and HOPEFULLY call it a bow. Its too short and too narrow so it scares me...........I aint gonna' lie.... :-[

(Inside joke) - Enjoy your new bow Casey Lowbassy, hope she holds!!!!!

Offline country

« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2012, 12:28:56 am »
ya got me looking for good piece of hackberry  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2012, 01:37:01 am »
Pearlie, she's gonna be a screamer. The light physical weight of the hackberry and the strength of the sinew(laid smooth and straight for the best performance)should be a great combo. Let her dry for at least a month, more the better. Put her somewhere dry but out of sight and let her cure. Go work on one of those other bows you've got going!  ;)
  I'm looking forward to seeing her complete.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2012, 06:53:49 pm »
Dont tell me what to do Pat B., your not my boss! :P ........You know I appreciate every ounce of knowledge you share.  ;)

Day something or another, I have 1 hour to this point.

Two weeks is my max paitence for waiting on bows. Its a horrible affliction, but I cope. The bow was long string tillered prior to sinewing. I weighed my sinew so I knew I had close to equal amounts on each limb. The first thing I did was put a long string back on the bow and pulled it to what felt like 20# about 50 times. I wanted to be sure all the sinew and wood knew how to bend together. I snapped a pic after that exercise period. The right limb is stiff midway as you can see. I took it down and scraped that area about 30-40 times and exercised her 50 more times to the same spot on the wall. The second pic shows the results. Still stiff in that spot, but better.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:01:56 pm by PEARL DRUMS »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2012, 07:01:08 pm »
This time I took it down and not only scraped that stiff area on the belly, but I narrowed it down some as well. That spot must have tempered more than the rest of the limb because it is stiff and allot of my temper color is gone. I will leave that belly area alone from here out, only width reductions in that area. I put it back up and tugged on the rope another 50-60 more times and snapped a pic. Still a touch stiff there so I scrpaed just the width in that area and tugged another 50 times and snapped a pic. Its close enough for me to put a short brace to her, maybe 1 1/2 - 2 1/2". I dont see any glaring errors that will hurt the bow if I brace it. Dont ever brace a bow that isnt tillered for ANY reason. Target draw weight is second only to proper tiller. Give me a tillered underweight bow versus an untillered heavy weight anyday!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2012, 07:07:23 pm »
Here she is short braced and I can dig it. I dont see much in the line of flat spots or hinge's. I pulled the bow to 18" about 50 times and now I will let her sit short braced for a bit and think about being a bow  ;). Then I will finish the tiller and get to my target draw weight plus 3# or so. The last pic I tossed in just to show string alignment at brace. Its rule numer one for me when building static bows. If its not a perfect blank, or if I dont think I can make it perfect it wont be a static bow.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2012, 07:14:56 pm »
Very very nice PD.. Have ya kept all the reflex so far? I personally might take a couple scrapes on the 2 inches coming off the fades in the pic... It doesn't look like its working much and with a bow this short it might need to be... Just a thought..  >:D Can't wait to see the finished product!! ;D ;D

Jon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2012, 08:02:53 pm »
I increased the brace to 4" and pulled the bow to 20" 50 more times. That annoying little flat spot is still there, barely. I scraped the width in that area again about 10 - 15 times per side and drew it 25 times. I like where it is now.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2012, 08:07:40 pm »
Dang that looks nice, I'm sure she'll turn out a great shooter
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2012, 08:08:32 pm »
I increased my brace to 5 1/2" and didnt remove any wood. Im calling that the brace height for now. It may go up or down as I tune the bow. The last few pics are of my final tiller. The bow is pulled to 20" in the last pic. The bow is going to be about 5# lighter than I wanted, but this tiny little thing just didnt have that in her. Im quite sure the speed it gets will more than make up for a few pounds in draw. Time to shoot it 40-50 times and see what it looks like. If all is well I will finish the handle and add some skins.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2012, 08:12:13 pm »
Could that be a tad stiff coming outta da upper limb?
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.