Author Topic: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully. ** DONE **  (Read 157704 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully.
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2012, 06:59:04 pm »
While my glue is warming up I took my Shinto on the fine side and using basically the weight of the tool I scratched up the back of the bow. I blew it off good and it was ready for sinew. My method is quite simple. I screw two screws into my work bench wide enoug to fit the bows handle. Then I grab some hemp cord and tye it down tight. This bow had about 5" of reflex as is. I slipped 4 x 4's under the limbs and added another 3". If I can keep anything over 1" of that I will be tickled. You can add or take away as much reflex as you choose. There is no single recipe to cover every bow.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2012, 07:06:47 pm »
Lookin good :), nice sinew setup
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2012, 07:09:48 pm »
I have very limited pics of the actual process. A photographer wasnt in this projects budget. I use nylon gloves because they seem to stick less to my work pieces. I keep a 2 gallon bucket with 3" of water in it for my sinew to soak, and my tools. I let my bunldes soak 30 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the size of the bundle. I like to let them just get softened up some so they lay flat and hopefully suck up less glue and leave a little behind to hold it down. I comb the bunldes once again prior to dipping them in the glue pot. After a swish or two I lightly sqeeze out the excess glue and flatten the bunlde out at the same time. I start with my longest bundle centered on the bow through the handle. Continue to methodically cover the bow being fairly mindful to keep the layers and weight close to the same on each limb. I was lucky on this one because I didnt expect my sinew to cover as much as it did. I got two good layers and a heavy 3/4" band down the working center. I use a chunk of deer antler to smooth the sinew out as I add it. Always stretching it towards the tips. I covered all but about 6-7" of the tips. I used that sinew for the extra band down the center. I felt it was better suited there than on static tips. Its quite dry in my shop right now, and warm. I will give it 7-8 days and see how its doing.

See ya'then! ;)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2012, 07:16:12 pm »
Incase yor counting.  I have 11 hours into the bow so far, maybe 2 quarts of sweat and 6-8 dews.

Offline okie64

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2012, 07:20:07 pm »
You're not supposed to be sweatin in March Pearlie, too early for that.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2012, 07:47:37 pm »
Looking great so far PD. If ya can keep 6" of reflex that bow will be a SCREAMER!

Jon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2012, 07:51:34 pm »
Looking great so far PD. If ya can keep 6" of reflex that bow will be a SCREAMER!

Jon

Thats what Im hoping for Jon. Being only pulled to 25" I need to find power elsewhere. Hackberry is the fastest bow wood I have used yet. Lets hope I mixed the ingredients right!

blackhawk

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2012, 08:08:59 pm »
nice sinew joby man...good n straight ;)....cant wait 8)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2012, 08:31:57 pm »
It looks 10x better today man. I was just in the shop drooling on it a few minutes ago. Its almost clear and smooth, smooth, smooth. It looks like only one thin layer was used. Pretty cool.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:45:30 pm by PEARL DRUMS »

Offline bubby

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2012, 09:08:55 pm »
man that is a purty sinew job PD, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2012, 11:06:33 pm »
Definitely a masterful backing.. I am curious about one thing though. I have heard many people say that when you sinew back a bow you have to go over the sides since the sinew shrinks as it dries..  I always thought that this would be kinda ugly.. It seems you have left your corners exposed however, and I like the look much better... In your experience does this work as well?

Jon

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2012, 11:26:55 pm »
Yes Sir P.D.!

That Beauty is really looking good!

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2012, 11:27:35 pm »
Definitely a masterful backing.. I am curious about one thing though. I have heard many people say that when you sinew back a bow you have to go over the sides since the sinew shrinks as it dries..  I always thought that this would be kinda ugly.. It seems you have left your corners exposed however, and I like the look much better... In your experience does this work as well?

Jon

I never have ever.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2012, 01:50:08 am »
Sometimes I think to myself "Self, you need to start working with sinew and sinew back some bows" Then I see the pics of the sticky gooey mess and reach for bamboo rinds again.

I'm like that with sticky gooey stuff.  LOVE bread, fresh baked breads.  HATE sticky mucky hands enough to watch other people eat it and hope for a scrap.  My 4 year old can some how con me into making her favorite Oatmeal bread.  Why is it that when you have hand covered in crud . . . something itches, or the phone rings. :P

Offline Adam

« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2012, 02:32:19 am »
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I've learned a lot reading through it.