Author Topic: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully. ** DONE **  (Read 157916 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully.
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2012, 05:36:36 pm »
Thanks guys. I beginning to better understand why more build alongs arent done. I cant say for sure that I have more time setting up for pics, taking pics, editing pics and typing than I do actual work time on the bow. Its a close race Im sure.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2012, 05:44:12 pm »
Thank You for doing the Work P.D., in getting this Build Along together for us.
I've learned a number of things, and gotten ideas for others, from this build along alone.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2012, 09:09:01 am »
That's a fantastic lookin' bow, PD! I love hackberry; got two in the dining room and some more outside waiting to become bows soon. It's great that down here in Texas they call it a trash tree....folks will give me about as much as I want!  >:D

Great build a-long, and I love the way you prepared the sinew. Picked up a few tips.

Bryce

Offline Dazv

« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:14 pm »
man this is looking great. It looks like you have been shooting off the top of your hand :-) i have the same.

Offline DQ

« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2012, 06:17:10 pm »
Great job on the build-a -long, Chris.  Almost makes me want to tackle a sinew back....almost.  lol

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2012, 08:32:11 pm »
man this is looking great. It looks like you have been shooting off the top of your hand :-) i have the same.

Yup! Stinkin test firing stiff arrows. I picked out a chunk of red feather quill the next day at work. Must have been 1/4" long.

Great job on the build-a -long, Chris.  Almost makes me want to tackle a sinew back....almost.  lol

Thanks Darryl. Bring the goods over here and we can do one on my sinew jig and you can bring it back home to cure out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2012, 08:44:07 pm »
The skins dried down nice with only two small areas that popped up. Super glue works good there. The scales rubbed right off with my fingers. I use duct tape when needed. I vice the bow up mid way and run my Exacto knife down the edge carefully trimming as I go. I try to just get it close for now. Then I grab my ol' faithful sanding block and gently clean the edges up. I will run it lightly down the "corner" in the same direction the scales run. That really smooths off the transistion between wood and skin.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2012, 08:51:56 pm »
Once done with the skins I sanded the entire bow with 220 grit and wiped it down with a VERY lightly dampened rag to remove dust and such. Then its tw dips per half in my dip tube. Its a piece of 3" PVC pipe with a cap glued on one end and the other pops on and off. I dip my arrows in there as well. Its an excellent way to seal a bow. I use Zip Guard gloss, Helmsman Spar is cheaper and works just as good. I like the amber hue I get from Zip Guard so I pay the extra $7.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2012, 09:36:27 pm »
Lookin' good Pearly.  I might have missed it, but how many oz.'s of sinew did you use on it?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Adam

« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2012, 11:35:13 pm »
I know this is a little off topic, but I noticed the orange grips on your farriers rasp in your last picture.  Where did you get those?  I always tear my hands up using mine.  Thanks for putting all the work into this post.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2012, 08:53:30 am »
Thanks Adam.  That is a Nicholson brand rasp. They come with the orange rubber caps, and yes they are very nice to have on there. I dabbed a bit of glue in each so I dont lose them.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2012, 11:11:57 am »
You are turning that wood into a real piece of art, PD. I can'[t wait to see pics of you shootin it.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2012, 01:04:52 pm »
WOW.  just found this... you are doing a wonderful job on this bow.. Can't wait to see it all finished up.   :) Thanks for posting the buildalong!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2012, 10:07:56 am »
Awesome build along!!  These kind of posts are the most helpful for beginners because they get to see the sequence of events and what needs to b done before the next step
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2012, 08:01:22 pm »
The bow has been dipped twice per half and sat around for two days to dry hard. Without too many boring details I make my grips from whatever leather I can get. I try to match thickness up with th egrip size the best I can. Leather will usually stretch one way more than the other. Use the stretchy direction to wrap around the handle. It give just enough to allow the leather to mold around the rest. The rest is just a thick piece of latigo I glued down 1 1/2" above center with Contact cement. I punch my holes every 1/4" or so on the grip. That $5 hole punch was a great investment many grips ago. For the strike plate I use adhesive backed Velco 1" wide. I just cut a trinagular shape each time I need one. The Velcro dots work equally well.