Author Topic: Tudor Arrows  (Read 8136 times)

Offline egstonvonbrick

Tudor Arrows
« on: March 24, 2012, 07:15:23 pm »
Well, i'm pretty new here and have been brave enough to post in the 'bow making' section and thought i'd just drop a quick post in here to show my Tudor arrow efforts...

I'm trying to be as representative as i can, and since these were made from square stock fettled through a dowel make and then tapered the next batch will be purely hand-draulicly made...

Hope you like...

The stock... and a nice little Bollock dagger... (i know a very good Smith in anyone needs one...) :)

Some finished articles... Ash shafts... 3/8"(ish) to 1/2" with beautiful T-16 heads (i plan to have a go at making my own soon, but i can safely say that they won't look as handsome as these! ;)

Horn insert for durability...

The finished article, hand cut feathers, rabbit glue and linseed oil... i have some verdigris to put on but as of yet can't face smearing my efforts with horrible blue stuff! :)

Type-16 and Tudor heads...

Also have a fair few 3/8 shafts with your good old T-10 bodkins on and some frilly ones wound in red silk...

Although i must say that these fellows do not fly that far from a 60# ELB and i need to hit the gym, or shoot more! :)

Cheers
Ev
Nah, that'll be alright...

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Tudor Arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:03:37 pm »
Sweet arrows Ev.  Looks like you got yourself an arsenal there. And that Bollock dagger, that things got balls, wow!  Thanks for the post and welcome to the arrows forum. dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Loki

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:04:15 pm »
They are very nice!And thats a lovely looking dagger!
 I do enjoy making these arrows but I use epoxy and superglue as a cheat.I aplaud you sir for your strive to authenticity with the rabbit glue and  verdigris.
May I ask who made the type 16's?

My Bollock dagger by made by Leo Todeshini

Swept out Type 16 from Hector cole
[I
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:00:09 pm by Loki »
Durham,England

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 09:53:38 am »
    I do a lttle smithing your smith is very good.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline egstonvonbrick

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 07:02:09 pm »
Chaps,

Thanks for the responses... i have a large tub of bodkins that i'm merrily working my way through... i aim to get a dozen done today!
(these are my 'nearly-traditional' variety where i use epoxy etc for expediency and so that the arrows may actually get used more than once!) :)

So here is a pleasing picture of my setup in my sunny garden... home made fletching jig to cope with longer feathers and my 'tube' of verdigris that i'm just getting up the courage to scrape into some glue and daub over my handywork!

>>T-16...
I was led to beleive that these were by Hector... but to be honest i'm not so sure... i have a few of his points and the style of these is different. However they are the best i've seen... a large order is (i believe) being placed so i'll be kept busy... not sure whether to laugh or cry over the prospect of making dozens of these tho! :)

>>Smithing
Yep, both the points and dagger are very nice... i'm tempted to get a seaxe from him... i did some wrought iron work many moons ago and am hoping to get back in to this... if you want to know the Smithy's name please PM me for his details.

>>Loki
Nice, scabbard for your dagger... keep meaning to make one myself!

Also, whilst this was going on... i was also trying to knock out a longbow... but that'll be another post! :)

Cheers
Ev

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 11:40:46 pm »

Wow! :o  those are exceptionally nice!  I tried to do a fletch wrap once.  yep once!  :P  Decided I had better things to do.  Couldn't get the wrap to cooperate with being symmetrical.  But yours are outstanding!  8) The bodkins, and type 16's are exceptional also. ;)  Thanks for sharing.

Wayne
  P.S. Loki, that is a nice pig sticker you have also.  I like them both. ;)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:33:32 am »
i love those arrows, mine look  no where as good as those, and probably don't work as well either, but seeing these gives me something to work towards
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Loki

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:20:44 am »
egstonvonbrick I use a similar jig by Rcheard head,its the only one i've found large enough to handle the 7" fletchings.

P.S. Loki, that is a nice pig sticker you have also.
I dont make these ( i wish for a forge) i buy them from Hector cole.

Durham,England

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:32 am »
Very nice work,love it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 12:51:21 pm »
  SWEETTTTT RAPS
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline egstonvonbrick

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 01:14:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies chaps...

I also have a very special batch thatwere made with a bit more care and these are finished in very fetching red silk windings... i would post a picture but this might be too much for you! ;)

Although after just finishing three dozen of these which seem to be everywhere in my house i'm wondering how they transported and mangaged hundreds of thousdans nee milliions you may require for a soiree into France!

Cheers
Ev

Offline mitch

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:38:28 pm »
well im gonna have to go out and fire up the chiminea and see if i can turn out some bodkins. i have forged out some knives and i have also forged some socketed points. the tip of the bodkin looks like the  tip on a pilum and i have made those before for a freind so lets see if i can put the two together and get somethin.  :laugh:
"Any old stick will do for a bow, but the arrow gets the deer." Ishi

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 07:13:25 pm »
LOVE those bodkins you got! i just made a few myself. of course they are way worse than yours in comparison, any tips on making the cone to attatch the shaft to? i had particular trouble with that. i am just using square half inch mild steel stock

Offline egstonvonbrick

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 05:27:28 pm »
>>any tips on making the cone to attatch the shaft to?

Don't know if i'm allowed to post links and don't want to upset anybody...

But, to see a master at work search your favourite video website for...

'Forging a war bodkin 0001'

Also, a different approach can be seen if you search for 'Mark Stretton'.

I could watch that kinda stuff all day long........... :)

Oh, just if people missed my first paragraph i (sadly) didn't make these beauties... i have a session hopefully in the planning with a Tudor smithy... to try my luck! :)

Good luck and keep us posted on your efforts!

Cheers
Ev

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 05:37:23 pm »
oh im sorry i didnt read that paragraph haha, but i tried again after watching that and i had a much better time. i got 6 done in 3 hours. pretty good for a beginner ;)