Author Topic: Tell me what you think  (Read 13772 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Tell me what you think
« on: August 22, 2007, 06:26:03 am »
I thought after the Twins I would work on a good straight piece of wood ,so I picked one out ,it had a little wrinkle in one limb ,but I didn't think there was much to it,Well turned out worse than I had thought.I got it braces last night but it has been a struggle.I have some pictures from one side view then the other,look and tell me what you think,keep in mind how the to limb is dipping and
diving. ???
    Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
Re: Tell me what you think
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 06:29:31 am »
It has really be a bugger to tller,I have it out to 36@14 now,just real hard to see. :)I will have some more pictures in a day or 2.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

a finnish native

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 06:47:19 am »
I would take wood off the midlimb and towards the tips on all of them. Hard to say without an unbraced profile..

DBernier

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 07:23:47 am »
Pappy, the limb with the wiggles looks a little stiff at brace, but one of my BL bows and especially my wife's Osage bow are the same. Then at full draw they are near perfect. I guess what I would do is work on wiggle limb and keep checking it. It just makes sense that wiggle limb will be stiffer and need more scraping. The other looks straight forward to bring it into compliance with the other. Sure will be another nice one.

Dick

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 07:24:45 am »
Thats kind of what I had thought,I will get an unbraced,today.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 07:25:41 am »
Sorry though them were unbraced,I will get some.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DBernier

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 07:47:06 am »
That last photo looks real good. About 12 inch's out on the right limb is where I would very gingerly scrape it on that bottom bump. You know I always wondered is, in "bending moment" is the wood  stronger at the knot or straight grain section. I have never seen one snap at a knot. Maybe the fibers are really compressed at that point and more resistant to bending. Well live and learn.

Dick

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:41:56 am »

Pappy, you and I have had problems with these dipping type of limbs in the past. We've tried to straighten them using dry heat prior to tillering...sometimes with success and sometimes ending up with a crack. Some of these limbs that have an extreme dip of either reflex or deflex in a short distance as this one does are nearly impossible to have them end up with that perfect limb sweep that you can get with say a clean piece of hickory. I think the challenge is to try and get those sections of the limb "working" evenly with the rest of the bow, and not worry about the "perfect" looking tiller at full draw.  :)

Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:49:19 am »
Pappy i think yer a glutton for punishment ;D You really like dem crooked ole sticks eh ;)
BTW its looking good to me
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 08:53:25 am »
I'm enjoying this one Pappy, a little refresher that I needed (have lots of character staves leaning) keep the pic's and explanation's coming :)
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 09:05:19 am »
I think you are right Dick,seems if you just don't get carried away on the scraping on the hard
spots they will work out OK.I just need to remember my rule,go slow and easy.Greg I know what you are saying,I though when I picked this one I could get it out but as usually I was wrong,Now
I have to live with it.I got it working a little last night after these pictures were taken,Got it
to 14 in. and it is looking better.I will get some shots of it at 14 and some unbraced pictures
also today and post in the morning.I need to get the outer limbs working a little more don't
yall think. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 10:33:50 am »
Pappy, the tillering of such a stave is difficult. You have to let you eyes trace and imaginary line representing the tiller right through the limb. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 10:36:56 am »
Looks  like  neither of the limbs is bending much mid limb on. It's good that you gave it a day to think about the tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline possum

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 10:42:26 am »
If you think about it, we measure straight from grip to tip but with wavy limbs they don't go straight.  But if you were to "straighten" them there would be more wood therefore causing it to be stronger and thus stronger.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 10:57:56 am »
Good point possum never though of it that way.Jawges you are also right sometimes it is best to just walk away and when you look at it again you see it in a different light. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good