Author Topic: Some people get all the luck and some??????????  (Read 3271 times)

Offline coaster500

Some people get all the luck and some??????????
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:18:11 pm »
A while back I met a new neighbor, Bob. After talking a bit I found out the he used to shoot years ago. A bit more conversation and he expressed and interest in building a bow. I gave him a Hackberry stave and helped him rough out a bow. A week later I saw him again and he said the bow broke when he drew it and that it had termites in it!!! Well stuff happens so I gave him another and he is currently working on it. Meanwhile I saw one that PatB built I liked it so much I built him copy cat out of a vine maple stave. I think it came out pretty good. I tillered it to 42@ 27 and put a couple of hundred arrows though. I went over to visit today only to find that it had exploded on poor Bob....  I felt bad and don't know what happened???  This is the first bow I've had blow so it was a suprise and a half but I guess it had to happen sooner or later...

Take a look and see what you think caused it?

This is a link to all the pictures

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/coaster500/Bobs%20Bow/?albumview=slideshow

This is the same vine maple in this post and shows the split on the back...  I thought it would be OK he only draws 26" inches at best!!!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31773.0.html

Anyway I had a little Osage bow from a belly split that I had save for someone else but Bob's got it not and shoots it pretty good. Darn I'll have to build another for the other person :)

Click for the video of Bob's new bow...  my wife does a much better job...   I just noticed Bob is sidways!!!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:48:49 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Some people get all the luck and some??????????
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »
Nice bow, sorry about the failures. They happen.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:58:08 pm »
We all know how it feels to break them..... Glad your friend came out with a beauty of a bow though...  ;D

Jon

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 11:38:14 pm »
It does not look to me that it broke where it was cracked, but up in the limb. Is that right?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:09:58 am »
Sorry bout your bad luck.The fracture looks kinda neat and not so jagged,could be a clue.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:22:38 am »
Bevan it was no where near the crack so I don't know why it broke?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 01:29:05 am »
When you give someone a bow, make sure it is tillered out to 36" draw.  Seriously.  36"

If they pay for it, then you can get by with 26" to 28" draw lengths.  The archers who pay good money are usually the ones who will take care of their stuff.  If the bow was free, they always call their 7ft tall cousin to come over and break,  uh..."test" the bow. ::)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 02:01:25 am »
Clearly what happend is that the game animal you drew was severely overweight causing undue stress to that limb resulting in failure  :(

Man that stinks, hate braking em.
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 11:54:15 am »
It is really hard when you are not there when it breaks. You really do not know what happened.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 03:05:26 pm »
Clearly what happend is that the game animal you drew was severely overweight causing undue stress to that limb resulting in failure  :(

Man that stinks, hate braking em.

Lol!  Soy, I've said it before and I will say it again, "you ain't right in the head!"  I must say that is a pretty healthy critter depicted on the bow.  Bummer about the run of bad luck.  Glad to see he hasn't gotten discouraged .  That would be the true tragedy .  With the bows you've been turning out Coaster, there's no doubt that he is in good hands despite the set backs.  Josh