Author Topic: Badger Fight  (Read 11514 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Badger Fight
« on: March 29, 2012, 04:03:11 pm »
It was just east of Idaho Falls, past Iona.  I was doing golden eagle surveys on a proposed wind farm site.  The site was on ag land bordering the Snake River.  I had done surveys at this site in the winter. Traveled by snowmobile from survey point to survey point.  This was august now, the first summer survey for eagles, and traveling from point to point was by truck, or on foot when a survey point was in the middle of a wheat field.  Our crew of three biologists was one man short this day, and so we were looking at a long day, dawn to dusk.  We do surveys separately, staying in contact via radio.  In route to my third or fourth survey point for the day, there happened to be a convenient swath of dirt, wide enough to drive on, that separated an unplanted field of last years wheat stubble, and a green field of this years wheat, about knee high.  I decided to drive this dirt swath to the point up on the top of the rise to save time.  So I was driving towards the point, just several hundred yards off the gravel road, when a large badger ran right in front of the truck, out of the wheat stubble and into the green field.  Without a thought, I had slammed the truck into park and was out of the door after him. 

I had always wanted to go after a badger, hand to hand. Mano y taxus. I had tackled armadillos, tailed cat-eating opossum, climbed after treed raccoons until they bailed from the top, removed entangled vampire bats from nets, wrangled large rattlesnakes, and even punched out a nutria that was tangling with my dog as a youth, but such game presented little in the way of real danger.  A badger posed real threat.  A worthy opponent and adversary of mankind and ground dwelling rodents alike.  I just had to beat him to his hole. 

I was on him in no time as I pursued him through the field chasing the moving grass that readily gave his position away.  I planned to cut him off before he got to his hole.  But before I had a chance to angle off for the cut-off, he whipped around, hunkered down and lunged at me the instant I was within reach.  I popped back just out of reach, and we growled intensely at each other. This was the beginning of a long, ugly battle. 

To be continued...
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Adam

Re: Badger Fight
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 04:22:38 pm »
I'm looking forward to hearing the end of this one!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 04:24:53 pm »
Yea me too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:41:50 pm »
whadayamean continued I wanna hear the rest of the story now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 04:53:42 pm »
I love it!  I'm glad I'm not the only person who likes to wrangle critters with only their hands.  If I ever loose a finger, you better believe I will have one cool story behind it.  Petting a live beaver in a creek was exhilarating.  And carrying a live possum into the office at work has brought me a whole new level of respect from my coworkers.  At least I think it is respect.  It might be fear  :-\  Either way I'm OK with it.

I can't wait to hear, The rest of the story.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 06:50:03 pm »
Was there a Cliff?
Cause I'm a Hanging on for the rest of the story...

I've lost a finger or two... its over rated!

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 07:50:55 pm »
I'm looking forward to hearing the end of this one!
Maybe he will tell us the rest when he gets back from the hospital.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline SA

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 09:47:28 pm »
sounds like a scene from ernest goes to camp :D "never do this   :P to a family of badgers" i'll be watchin this thread.
Shawn Acker

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 12:42:47 am »
Yep! Since my check comes from Tetra Tech I can see where they weren't amused, but, I did the same with a few hogs here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 02:03:19 am »
I wanna see the video !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 02:19:07 am »
I wanna see the video !  '  Frank
good point, i really hope there's a video to accompany this story
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 03:20:04 am »
  Nothing personnal but I hope the badger wins!!!!

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 03:30:51 am »
wait a second, badger, was it you he decided to fight, and if so, what was the outcome, and i personally hope the fish wins, ( it wasn't in the story, but it is secretly pulling the strings behind everything)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline jimjimmysticks

• practice keeps me calm in the game
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 03:49:47 am »
 is this really going on?sounds funny to me  :embarassed:

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 03:55:50 am »
  Their is a video of a guy on line catching a badger by hand, I think he ended up throwing a blanket over it and putting it a dog crate.