Author Topic: I made this ranger bow and arrows for a friends online fantasy video series  (Read 3079 times)

Offline tumalt

Its been quite awhile since I have posted on the forum, life has been busy but I recently was able to get back into bow making and created this bow for friend who is creating an online fantasy comedy video series. It's only the second shooter I have made, not the work of a master, but I was mostly pleased with how it came out. 

The bow is venison rawhide backed hickory.  The arrows are bamboo fletched with Turkey feathers. First flemish bow string I have made.  Stained with Orc blood and dragon soot, (okay Rit dye).    Sorry no full draw pics, I brought it to him for the series before I got a chance to take a full draw, but it will be in action in the series. 

Here are the pics: http://imgur.com/a/1myy8
Here's the trailer to the series and you can see the bow partially in action.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tk5HNtvs2bQ

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Hahahahaha I am so watching that!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Weylin

ha, that video looks hilarious. the bow looks nice too! good work.

Offline tumalt

Thank you both. Its been alot of fun. I'm also an Orc extra.  Feels like I'm 12 again :D

Offline Dictionary

cool bow, what's the string made of?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bubby

really nice setup, bow and arrows, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline danlaw

That is hilarious.  Nice job on the bow and arrows - the whole set looks great together. 

Offline tumalt

Thank you all.  The string is fast flight.  I discovered I really enjoy making bow strings, something really relaxing about the process.

Offline Carson (CMB)

That trailer is hilarious.  Also, nice prop...I mean bow.  You are in Portland? 

Doing the flemish twist ...is relaxing?  Anytime I make more than one in a day my thumbs are cramped up for the next two days.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Steve Milbocker

You did a beautiful job on that bow and those arrows.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Scowler

Good looking gear, and the show looks like it should be fun to watch ;D

Offline hatcha

I discovered I really enjoy making bow strings, something really relaxing about the process.

Yeah...  Right up until the cramp sets into the fingers!!

Great looking bow and the arrows look good too!  Give your friend a lesson in which side of the bow the arrow shaft goes on for a right-handed draw ;)

Glad you're having fun, man.

Offline Adam

That looks great! I've never talked to an orc before!  ;)

Offline Dictionary

That trailer is hilarious.  Also, nice prop...I mean bow.  You are in Portland? 

Doing the flemish twist ...is relaxing?  Anytime I make more than one in a day my thumbs are cramped up for the next two days.
I rather hate doing it as well. It usually only takes me about 10 minutes to make it though.....
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Arrowind

hilarious show.  nice bow! Looks like it could be at least +1 or better   ;D
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?