Author Topic: I might he in over my head soon(in cane shafts cut,smoothed& semi-straight)  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
My uncle found me a great place for getting Tonkin cane in bulk, I plan on trying three different length packages, 2.5' 3' & 4' and will continue buying whichever has the best node placement and whether I need some wiggle room for the spine weight, unfortunately they only come in packages of 500  :( :o. They are already pretty straight and the nodes are sanded. I'm gonna order em next week. I will post pics when I get them. I like snakeskins, carp skins, rawhide and I can't get any Osage around here :'(, if u have any thing else just contact me with an offer.
I plan on ordering 1500 so I won't run out anytime soon ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:20:14 am by Youngboyer2 »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: I might he in over my head soon
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »
Four footers?  Yehaw!  Who needs fletching with an arrow of that length?!?!    And spine is something you don't have to worry about either at those lengths. 

I might be interested in some of those.  Then I can try replicating some of those Papua/New Guinea arrows in my collection and try shooting 'em!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 05:09:54 pm »
JW, would that whole, long length no need for feathers thing apply to warbows?
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »
Dunno, for sure, never shot a war bow. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 07:27:52 pm »
All of my arrows will be 30"-32" i only got longer ones for node placement when I cut them(for self nocks) and the other reason for cutting them shorter would be to stiffen the spines up
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:23:47 pm »
If the nodes are already sanded, be careful trying to straighten them.  They could break at the node.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 11:33:50 pm »
Oh, thank you Osage. I didn't know that.
Would that still happen with a shaft tamer from 3RA?
 if not I think I'll get one to prevent breaking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 01:25:11 am »
I have no idea. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 01:48:17 am »
I may be interested in a trade, YB.  I have some osage that'd do ya!  Also, skins.  Send out a pic or two when you get them, okay?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Awesome, I thought of posting pics from the website but I only want to post pics of the stuff that I get, not a pic from the site that could be different from what I get,

Unfortunately it may be another week if the test that I took before break comes back low, mom thinks that all of this "stuff" is very time consuming and brings down my grades. I'll try to get her to her senses, or bribe her with a breakfast in bed.
Anyone have any other mother bribing suggestions to speed up
Themarrival of these shafts?

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
YB:  School is important and should come first...no, really!  Its the same for all of us older guys.  Work comes first, then the bow thing.  The best bribe would be to bring home a good report card.  Do that and she won't be as concerned with all of this stuff.  Regardless, breakfast in bed every once in a while, is a good idea.  Even when you're not trying to bribe her. 

Ancient Native American Proverb:  When Mom's happy - everyone is happy.

Bring home a good report card, send me a PM, and I'll GIVE you an osage stave.    :)

Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
YB:  School is important and should come first...no, really!  Its the same for all of us older guys.  Work comes first, then the bow thing.  The best bribe would be to bring home a good report card.  Do that and she won't be as concerned with all of this stuff.  Regardless, breakfast in bed every once in a while, is a good idea.  Even when you're not trying to bribe her. 

Ancient Native American Proverb:  When Mom's happy - everyone is happy.

Bring home a good report card, send me a PM, and I'll GIVE you an osage stave.    :)
what if i send you a good report card? ;D ;) ::)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
YB.. You gotta put school first. I'm a teacher and wish I had more parents like your mom. Get to studying, reading and doing homework.

Do breakfast in bed because you want to show her how much you love her for all she does  :laugh:

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Sooooooo close, I got a hundred on a math test (least favorite subject) but a 64 on a earth science (favorite subject)weather map, I made all of my stupid wind direction flag things backwards >:(, mom was not happy overall, and I am thinking of not ordering the 4 footers, they are the most expensive and I am not overly concerned with node placement, as long as the nock wraps are good, and I will still have 4 in to find a node on the 3 footers
So now I am ordering the 2.5' and the 3' shafts(500ea)
I also like knapped obsidian arrow heads.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:41:26 pm by Youngboyer2 »

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Any chance you could be dyslexic?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.