Author Topic: "on the cheap"  (Read 3078 times)

Offline sonny

"on the cheap"
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:33:08 pm »
Pat's post about his new arrows made me think to point out that you may simply need to look through your stash to see if you already have the stuff it takes to finish up this project or that.
A hunting buddy gave me 8 or 10 cedar shafts a few months ago and I got a few more from another buddy to round out the dozen. (why is it we're so inclined to make a dozen arrows ??)  Well I put off even starting on them as I figured I'd have to order feathers, nocks, points..as it turns out I only had to order a dozen feathers as I already had enough for the hen feathers, decided I wanted white cock feathers.  I already had nocks and points that I had forgotten about.
So, not counting the cost of the stuff that I already had, I'll end up with a dozen plus new arrows for little current investment.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: "on the cheap"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:25:54 pm »
  That was my point Glenn. Most of us have enough "stuff" laying around that can be made into things we need to enjoy our sport. For the newbies that haven't had the chance to accumilate this "stuff" but still have a need, hopefully it will show them that they don't have to spend much money, if any at all, to get what we need for our archery addiction. The purpose of PA is to show how to make what we need with what we have available to us. My use of house paint or Kilz primer to crown these arrows is a good example. You don't need a dip tube or expensive paints and specific brushes to crown, crest or seal arrows. A little masking tape(or not) and some of that old paint sitting in the basement or garage will do the trick. We don't need special cresting paint to fancy up our arrows or a cresting lath to do it. Magic Markers, craft paint, etc works very well for cresting. Rotating the shaft as it lays across your lap works as a cresting lathe and a can of spray poly or Tru-Oil applied with your finger works well to seal the shaft. How about the use of duplex nails for points or a "nutter" as a small game head, a sharpened stick attached as a foreshaft can be used as your target point.
  A good friend, a few years ago, shot a 3D course of 20 targets with a cane arrow with found legal feathers tied on. For a point he cut his cane arrow at a sharp angle about 3" from a node on the big end and filled the void with sand and sealed it with pine pitch. Along with most of the targets, that arrow hit trees and rocks and Barry was still able to complete the course using only that arrow.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:58:01 pm »
I just picked up a bunch of bamboo for arrows on a trip along with other supplies (the guy at Rudderbows was REALLY generous and spent a fair amount of time just sharing thoughts/answering questions).  I really want to put natural feathers on my arrows and just my luck, it's turkey season :).  I put the word out to some friends/co-workers that hunt turkey to save me their wings.  Just got a picture sent to me today of the 1st turkey that will be contributing to my fletching and hopefully more to come.

It's great getting to build your own gear and I like it all the better when I can use materials that I really want and would otherwise be thrown away.  If I'm overly lucky, I'll get 4 or 5 sets of wings this year-woo hoo!  I've also really enjoyed seeing how so many on this forum come up with amazing arrows without the use of expensive parts/equipment.  One of my favorites is that piece of leather used as a fletching "jig"-definitely going to be trying that one.  I'm loving this site :).

Jeremy

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 11:47:12 pm »
Pat;
 I knew you were talking about Barry as soon as you started to describe what he do. That is one resourcefull guy.

Jeremy, you are lucky to have such helpfull person at Rudder Bows. Someone with the answers definitely help with the learning curve.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:10:33 pm »
Sonny and Pat, a tip of my hat to you.  I inherited a lot of arrow making supplies and have, after making many arrows w/ POC, nocks and point, started into the shoot, self nock and trade/stone/blunt points.  Using what is around me in the woods.  I love that.  I'll probably be shooting POC @ the classic though. Anywho, I learned most of that on this website.  I've been a subscriber for years, but only on here for a year now, I've learned a ton. Thanks, dpgratz   
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:49:13 pm »
Derik, I'll be shooting poplar shafts at the Classic this year.  ;D   I'll bring some of my "primitive" stuff too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC