Author Topic: URAC185 shelf life  (Read 5354 times)

Offline bigcountry

URAC185 shelf life
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:28:05 pm »
Getting ready to glue up a bunch of stuff.  Had some URAC from Summer 2011, and figured a new batch was in order.  Order from 3rivers, and they sent me stuff older than what I had.  Freakin March 2011. 

Would you guys use it??
Westminster, MD

Offline hedgeapple

Re: URAC185 shelf life
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 01:47:32 am »
I would send it back.  I got a instruction manual from Nelson when I ordered Urac from them.  The shelf life is 12 months if I remember correctly.  I had some Urac that was 18 months old (before I read the shelf life), it didn't work out well.  Of course, I'm still perfecting my glue ups.  But, when I got my new batch of Urac from them, the resin, liquid was much lighter in color and a lot thinner than the old stuff I had used.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:12:12 pm »
3rivers tried to say, don't worry about it, the one year is only a recommendation. 

Yea right.  I am sending it back.  Thanks
Westminster, MD

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:28:59 pm »
Don't send it back. 

If it was unopened with the ultra lock seal on it it should be fine.  Start your clock when you open it.

As it gets older it will thicken and darken a tad.  Keep it in a zip lock bag on the bottom shelf of your fridge and you'll be good.  I just finished off my first can and the bow worked out fine.  The glue was a little thicker  than the new can I just opened.  Other than that all was fine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 04:00:03 pm »
Charlie Jeffrson(Stringstretcher) contacted Nelson Paint Co. the distributers for Urac and they told him that the shelf life is one year after the can has been opened. Keep it refrigerated and it will last longer after it is opened.
  Also, they told him that the manufacturer has discontinued production and don't know when the will start again if ever. If you use Urac on a regular basis you might want to stock up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:17 pm »
Dog Gone It...

Thank  You for the Good Info Y'all.
And Thank You for the Heads Up Pat B!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:56:04 pm »
WHAT!  Urac is the best glue ever!  CRAP! 

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 06:29:07 pm »
A call to Nelson confirmed that it will not be available any longer.  Refered to the original manufacturer suggests that the formula MAY be available for sale. $40 - $50K. 

They have been around since the 40's.  Now they blame the economy blah blah blah.  It's lame if you ask me because true there may have been a shuffeling of users.  However recessions create entrepreneurs of necessity.  Those folks that had a skill, lost a job and had to make money on their own or starve.  Urac's most common uses are furniture (artisinal), fly rods, bow building, and musical instruments.  So I'm thinking a few things are going on there.  1) They aren't marketing it well.

They say that they are making 10 of thousands of gallons at a time and sales volume is slow that most gets tossed because it goes bad.

Now I don't know the exact details but I'm gonna guess here that aside from a marketing failure they are working from the old mass production, economies of scale formula.  Henry Ford.  However he's long gone and his model is antiquated.  Most companies are switching to economies of speed.  Make smaller batches more frequently cut inventory costs considerably.  In this case it alse reduces waste.  The economic decision will be the retooling cost given demand. 

It is possible to project demand to some degree and use that to develop a production schedule that minimizes waste.  This would be a perfect Six Sigma project for me.  Apparently they have several Black Belts already so unless projects on the product line were killed in favor of others I'd have to say not all Black Belts are the same.

What a bummer.  Wish I was an analytical chemist right about now.  They said that given demand a person would be foolish to purchase the formula.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 06:56:58 pm »
Well I guess the bottom line is that I should pick up another batch for safe keeping...

Dang It...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 07:07:32 pm »
Well, I have a batch that has being in my fridge for 8 years,...still any good  ;D ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 10:02:15 pm »
From what they, Nelson, told us today, the shelf like of the urac is still only 1 year, opened or not.  They said heat is what causes it to go bad, even if never opened.  But keeping it cool or refrigerated will help keep it longer.  And buying directly from Nelson is a lot cheaper that other outlets.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 11:53:38 pm »
This same discussion was just posted on Leatherwall within the last couple of weeks. Supposedly Nelson still has it in stock but when visiting their website last week I didn't see it listed.
Another member suggested unibond 800 as an alternative but I couldn't find it in smaller than 1 gallon containers and it also has a very short shelf life (3 months @ 90 degrees) 
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 01:19:06 am »
From what they, Nelson, told us today, the shelf like of the urac is still only 1 year, opened or not.  They said heat is what causes it to go bad, even if never opened.  But keeping it cool or refrigerated will help keep it longer.  And buying directly from Nelson is a lot cheaper that other outlets.

It's not cheaper.  3 Rivers is the cheapest.  Sticker price is higher but the shipping is ALOT less.
It's flamable apparently and so get a shipping surcharge coming from Nelson.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 01:56:33 am »
Weldwood Plastic Resin is very similar to Urac, both urea glues, but is a dry powder that you mix with water. I have used it sucessfully with hickory backings on bows with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 12:04:03 pm »
Called Nelson myself, and they said it was one year life with the sticker on the can.  Getting mixed stories I guess. 

I myself decided to send back to 3rivers and order directly from nelson. 

Thanks for the tip pat.  I was wondering if there were any alternatives.
Westminster, MD