Author Topic: Been knappin today.  (Read 9553 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Been knappin today.
« on: August 26, 2007, 09:03:08 pm »
Wonder if those primitive's had any commonly used curse words ;D
? Knapped out some huntin points today - have a trade brewing. Think those Ishi style points will be OK as far as the game wardens are concerned but what do ya'll think about them others? I was trying to mimic our modern primitive steel points with that style - made em without any barbs that I can see, the width is fine - ya'll see anything that might get a feller in trouble??

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline armymedic.2

Re: Been knappin today.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 09:24:48 pm »
they look beautiful.  they would be legal in ny.  WELL DONE.  I  had to llok twice cause i thought they were steel --nice job
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:28:26 pm »
  Real nice Cowboy.We don't have a problem with barbed points in Fl.I've never had anybody measure mine if it was in something dead.But the rules on points vary from state to state.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

gene roberts

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 10:53:46 pm »
whoa those are nice they look like they were forged.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 01:09:27 am »
I cant imagine why they would be illegal.  Certainly don't have any barbs.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 07:47:54 am »
Anything goes in Michigan, nice points.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 08:30:23 am »
Great looking points
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

makete

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 11:44:16 am »
Great points!!! How much do they weigh? Is it hard to get knapped points to weigh the same or close? People who knap really impress me with their talent. Would love to be able to do something like that.   

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »
Thanks guys! I'd like to see everyone's favorite style of huntin points, I know it's been posted on here before (huntin arrow's) but what do ya'll prefer as far as knapped points?

Hey makete: I imagine there are those out there that could knap out some points of the same weight and close to the same dimension's, but it ain't me ;D. Most spalls that I pick up and start working on will kind be what they will, I can never pick up a rock and say I'm going to make such and such outa this one - better to say I'll try and make a certain type and hope for the best. Only way I could make matching weight's would be to knap out a bunch and weigh all, then do the matching - would'nt necessarily be the same dimension, just too many variables.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 01:16:26 pm »
Those look great, and I don't see how they would be considered barbed by any means. I make most of my hunting points just like the triangular side-notched ones in your pic with shallow notches so the sinew will fill 'em up.

PS-how small/thin do you have to break those cobbles down before you can heat them? Haven't had a chance to do much of anything lately, but I'm gonna try to roast some rock soon.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 02:11:10 pm »
Hey Cowboy I'm with you. I start out with a 6 inch spall to make a 4 or 5 inch spear point and end up with a 1/2 inch Dove point. I admire those guys like Hillbilly, Vinson, James and others who can "see" the arrowhead in the rock and then go in and get it. I guess it is a matter of practice and thinking about every flake you take off. Someday?  :(

PS Paul, Those are gorgeous points and will take anything on our Continent. Great job. Will look good on some footed shafts when you get some made.  ;D

Dick

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 04:33:59 pm »
That's a good point there Steve ;D - I mean about making the notches shallow so the sinew will fill em, I hadn't thought about that. On the cookin, I've treated bifaces as much as an inch thick with varrying results, some survived some didn't. Best to play it safe for awhile and try to keep under a half inch - and most importantly have them three to four inches under your packed dirt - keep that fire HOT for a day, then let them cool over the next coupla days.
  I'll be gettin some kind of shafts put together over the next coupla weeks Dick, am falling way behind on that part. Just hope whatever I get made will fly straight - may use those Phragmite reed shafts from Kowechobe Bob.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 05:14:55 pm »
BTW Paul, I haven't forgotten the cane, just haven't had time to get to the cane patch. Soon.....
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

jamie

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 06:29:26 pm »
damn dude those are awesome.

once i get used to a material i can tell what the weight is, within 10 grains. all the flint points i made this year came in at 90-100 grains. couple werent wide enough to hunt with though. mine never look the same. mostly triangles but some have rounded ends some stems, some flat.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 07:14:22 pm »
The only way I can get mine the same weight is to cut the preforms out with a saw.And then grind with the diamond grinder.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?