Author Topic: Bamboo, Ipe Laminated ELB.  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Bamboo, Ipe Laminated ELB.
« on: April 12, 2012, 04:39:10 pm »
Belly turned out flatter than I had hoped.  But otherwise it was a club.

Offline Dauntless

Re: Bamboo, Ipe Laminated ELB.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:05:41 pm »
Looks great, love the tips.

Doesn't take much of that pair to make a stiff bow  :D
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:08:56 pm »
Sorry I was in a rush.

72" lnog 48# @ 28" can be drawn further.  Ebony and antler tips and antler arrow pass inlay.  R/L handed.  Inlay on both sides.  Love this grip method and Ipe looks so rich.

What to name it?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 07:21:25 pm »
I never heard of a middle aged man whose belly was flatter than he planned. I sure don't have that problem.

Nice looking bow. I love Ipe and Boo together.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:37:05 pm »
Very nice! like the tips and arrow pass. sweet full draw too.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 07:56:23 pm »
nice looking longbow.....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 08:30:38 pm »
I have that problem also!.... My pants are all falling down!.  Oatmeal once a day and cut way back on the midnight snacking.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 08:31:12 pm »
Very nice bow Prarie, Love the tips and the contrast with the boo and Ipe

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 08:45:19 pm »
Making these tricked up plain sticks is kinda fun.  When I started I was all about the arrow shelf and the modern looking tip overlays.  At this rate in 4 months I'll be making and using survival bows from limbs, with the bark on.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 08:53:14 pm »
Nice job, crisp looking tips :).
If I'm allowed to criticise, I'd say maybe use a straight edge when you are pricking througfh the holes in the leather, the rest of the work is so nice (folded edges are a nice detail) it just seems a shame to have wobbly stitching.
I push through the holes with an awl every 5mm using a steel rule as a guide before stitching.
5mm works well, not so fine that it takes for ever and not so coarse that it looks rough.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 11:42:43 pm »
Nice bow, PB. Is that 3 laminations I see? Boo back, ipe belly, and ? core?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 01:31:07 am »
If I'm allowed to criticise, I'd say maybe use a straight edge when you are pricking througfh the holes in the leather, the rest of the work is so nice (folded edges are a nice detail) it just seems a shame to have wobbly stitching.
I push through the holes with an awl every 5mm using a steel rule as a guide before stitching.
5mm works well, not so fine that it takes for ever and not so coarse that it looks rough.
Del

Thanks for the tip.  I wish all that was wobbly about me was my stitching.  I do kinda get into this "get it done" frame of mind.  I was out of real thread . . . so I used b-50 dacron. :-[

Great tip on the ruler.  I started that way but I couldn't figure out how to NOT have some scratch line or ink line visible.  Oh and I dn't have an awl right now.  I just took a heavy duty sewing needle and sharpened the tip to a triangle cross section and shove it through with a thimble.

Thanks

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 01:32:43 am »
Lesken,

Carbonized Boo core.  I'd love to have had some of the non carbonized for the contrast.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 05:22:32 am »
Del

Thanks for the tip.  I wish all that was wobbly about me was my stitching.  I do kinda get into this "get it done" frame of mind.  I was out of real thread . . . so I used b-50 dacron. :-[

Great tip on the ruler.  I started that way but I couldn't figure out how to NOT have some scratch line or ink line visible.  Oh and I dn't have an awl right now.  I just took a heavy duty sewing needle and sharpened the tip to a triangle cross section and shove it through with a thimble.

Thanks
Actually the stitching is often on a bit of a curve so you may need to shuffle the rule slightly as you go, but you get the idea.
I couldn't find an awl anywher, so in the end I made one from a real cheapo electricians screwdriver . I crushed the plastic handle in the vice to get it off and made a chunnky ball handle from a scrap of wood.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/leatherwork.html
This blog entry might be useful.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 07:19:13 am »
Very nice bow,tiller looks good and the finish work is very nice also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good