Author Topic: Close Call Report  (Read 1310 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Close Call Report
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:54:06 pm »
.........thats what they call them in the shop anyway. My bandsaw was rubbing funny Sunday afternoon so I opened the top cover and noticed the blade was a touch loose and not riding right, it was a 3/4" 4 tpi TW. I gave it a turn and it started to quiet down. I gave it one more quarter turn and the blade came flying off and whacked me in the face. I grabbed my face and didnt see any blood on my hands..........like I said it was Sunday  ;).  The blade didnt live to tell. Its broke in half. I wasnt directly behind the wheel either, the blade wobbled when it broke and flew off. NO SAFETY GLASSES. I know better and still broke the rule.  :-[

BE CAREFUL....MINDFUL
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Close Call Report
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:59:53 pm »
Glad to hear you are OK! I have a fear of that happening every time I change blades on mine.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:03:58 pm »
NO SAFETY GLASSES. I know better and still broke the rule.  :-[

Glad your okay...

My grandpas good friend cut his leg to the bone with a circular saw last summer...
When he got to ER the doctor asked if he had experience using a circular saw...

He said "of course I've been using one for years"..

The doctor said "I thought so. Most people who get hurt are the very experienced users who have clocked years behind a saw. They eventually just get careless once and think that they have enough experience to avoid injury..."

Moral of the story.. No matter how good you are with a saw, always obey the basic safety rules and don''t let the experience get to your head...  >:D >:D

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 01:12:43 am »
...it don't take but a second!  :o  Glad you're OK Pearlie.   You know better!  >:(
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:52:28 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 01:18:32 am »
...it don't take vbut a secxond!  :o  Glad you're OK Pearlie.   You know better!  >:(

Yea!! What he said  >:( >:(

I am glad to hear that you are ok ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:32:02 am »
Glad you didn't get sliced up.  Close calls have a way of getting your attention.  I took a chunk of a splitting wedge to the bridge of the nose a couple of years ago.  I've started wearing glasses since then.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:22 pm »
I lopped a finger off in 1997 on a machine here at work. This is my first machine "accident" since then. That day taught me alot about being very careful. Must have forgotten what I learned on Sunday because that was just short of dumb on my part!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 01:03:00 am »
Ive been using my planer/ joiner for years,I know to use the push paddles,for some reason last year I didnt use them planing a thin piece of bamboo,,,WHACK,, off comes the tip of my left index finger!  Glad you didnt get cut!  It do hurt!!
 :'(
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does