Author Topic: Dang cold weather messing up my snapper trapping  (Read 5369 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Dang cold weather messing up my snapper trapping
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 08:34:01 pm »
Everybody ought to have the experience of cleaning a snapper! They are nothing like you've ever cleaned before. Their heart will beat for a long time after you have it laying on the bench. Creepy.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 08:52:49 pm »
I think if I ever try to clean another one, I am using the chainsaw and the dremal!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 09:29:23 pm »
yea cleaning a snapper will definitely give you something to do. Its definitely an experienc. ;D
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 11:45:46 pm »
Mmmm!  Hey6010      how about a  clean along?  I used to trade  perch for turtle stew,,I didn't pay  attention dang-it ! That would be cool thanks  JeffW

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 12:35:49 am »
Mmmm!  Hey6010      how about a  clean along?  I used to trade  perch for turtle stew,,I didn't pay  attention dang-it ! That would be cool thanks  JeffW

Ill do that. i have to check my lines in the morning to see if any snappers are on them and ill take pics as im cleaning them and post them as soon as i have time. Ill also post pics of the most effective and humane way to dispatch a snapper before you clean it.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 01:29:27 am »
Mmmm!  Hey6010      how about a  clean along? 

I'm not so sure. Cleaning a snapper is grisly, messy business.  Besides that they're downright weird.  The first one I cleaned for grandma I cut the head and feet off, removed the bottom shell, gutted it, cut off the tail and neck, and left the top shell attached to the legs which I had skinned.  I had so much fun getting the neck and tail away from the shell that I thought I'd let grandma or grandpa fillet the meat off the legs.  I put the shell in the  sink with the head and tail which I had also skinned.  I didn't make it 20' out their door when grandma screamed.  I ran back in and the turtle, with no head, neck,  tail or feet, had stood up and climbed out of the sink and onto the counter.  Man did she freak and to a much lesser extent, so did I.  They are bizarre animals.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 01:09:33 am »
Live action! :o

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 03:56:58 am »
  YEA JUST SKIN quarter some times I'll leave them in salt water over night. SOMETIMES
  Beleive it or not I had a cousin the surplyed a couple restrunts and saved the hearts and livers for me the best cat fish bait I've ever used. I used it 100's of times when I was younger for years. I don't cat fish any more but save mine for friends that do every turtle I get.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 01:55:17 pm »
Mmmm!  Hey6010      how about a  clean along? 

I'm not so sure. Cleaning a snapper is grisly, messy business.  Besides that they're downright weird.  The first one I cleaned for grandma I cut the head and feet off, removed the bottom shell, gutted it, cut off the tail and neck, and left the top shell attached to the legs which I had skinned.  I had so much fun getting the neck and tail away from the shell that I thought I'd let grandma or grandpa fillet the meat off the legs.  I put the shell in the  sink with the head and tail which I had also skinned.  I didn't make it 20' out their door when grandma screamed.  I ran back in and the turtle, with no head, neck,  tail or feet, had stood up and climbed out of the sink and onto the counter.  Man did she freak and to a much lesser extent, so did I.  They are bizarre animals.

George

Yea snappers are like snakes and have automonous nervous reaction and will continue to move even after death. As far as cleaning the turtle itself as long as you know the right spots to cut then its actually not that hard to clean and get all of the meat out.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 04:50:26 pm »
...as long as you know the right spots to cut then its actually not that hard to clean and get all of the meat out.

Clearly you have cleaned a lot more than I have cause I never figured it out.  Largest one I ever picked up by the tail is 25lbs.  If I did that today the chiropractor would be seeing me for a month...  Sure was some good eating though.  Never thought to try the innards for catfish bait though...duh.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 05:57:49 pm »
My best friend and I (back in high school) decided to go fishing. He new of a little pond full of crawfish we could use as bait. It was small and shallow so we to a 8" seine and started walking through it. (without shoes of course). all of a sudden the net got real heavy. We thought we had the mother load of crawfish. pulled it up and there was a BIG snapper in the middle. Looking pissed as only a snapper can do. We weren't angels by any shape or form, but we walked on water out of that pool! I spent over 2 hours trying to skin that thing. Used an ax, several knives the works.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 07:36:19 pm »
Cool Thread.

I too would be interested in a Clean Along...

My wife and I Love Turtles.
Both as Pets and as Dinner.

We have a thirteen year old Eastern Box Female.
But we draw the line at feeding her Turtle Soup... :)

On a Side Note, we are looking for an Eastern Box Male of Breeding age.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 09:16:19 pm »
Cool Thread.

I too would be interested in a Clean Along...

My wife and I Love Turtles.
Both as Pets and as Dinner.

We have a thirteen year old Eastern Box Female.
But we draw the line at feeding her Turtle Soup... :)

On a Side Note, we are looking for an Eastern Box Male of Breeding age.

-gus

I used to find box turtles all the time when i was a kid and i would keep a few as pets. But as far as eating one i wouldnt in the wild they eat poisonous muchrooms and plants all the time and they just naturally have alot of toxins in their bodies because of it so in a sense box turtles are poisonous if eaten.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 09:20:00 pm »
...as long as you know the right spots to cut then its actually not that hard to clean and get all of the meat out.

Clearly you have cleaned a lot more than I have cause I never figured it out.  Largest one I ever picked up by the tail is 25lbs.  If I did that today the chiropractor would be seeing me for a month...  Sure was some good eating though.  Never thought to try the innards for catfish bait though...duh.

George

You have to have a sharp knife and cut in between the joints otherwise youll be cutting all day and the only thing that youll get is a dull knife and a tired arm. Oh and just like deer dont puncture ANY of the innards or youll ruin all the meat.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 01:37:33 pm »
I used to find box turtles all the time when i was a kid and i would keep a few as pets. But as far as eating one i wouldnt in the wild they eat poisonous muchrooms and plants all the time and they just naturally have alot of toxins in their bodies because of it so in a sense box turtles are poisonous if eaten.

Oh no... the Box turtles are pets...
The snappers and softshells are for eating...
We're looking to have a clutch of Boxies for pets.
Heck they're too small to eat anyway, unless you were Mighty Hungry!  :)
Never tried eating a Slider...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX