Author Topic: Dang cold weather messing up my snapper trapping  (Read 5370 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

Dang cold weather messing up my snapper trapping
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:44:55 pm »
I wish this cold weather would go away for good for awhile. i havent been able to catch a single snapper yet bc of the cold air and rain that keeps coming in. Itll be warm for a few days and then get cold again its like a viscous cycle! >:(
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Dang cold weather messing up my snapper trapping
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:50:16 pm »
Bummer.  What do you cook with them?  I used to catch them for my grandma to cook when I was a kid.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:10:59 am »
i boil them then i roll the meat in a mixture of flour and corn meal with salt and pepper mixed in. Then i fry them on the skillet.  ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 12:34:19 am »
Mmmm, sounds wonderful.  Good luck.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:44:20 am »
I saw one on the side of the road the other day. It was about 12" to 15" in diameter but had a crack down it back. It wasn't moving either!  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 01:31:48 am »
I saw one on the side of the road the other day. It was about 12" to 15" in diameter but had a crack down it back. It wasn't moving either!  ::)

yea pat its a shame when they get ran over all that good meat gone to waste.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 02:34:55 am »
Here in southern Indiana I catch em all the time.

I just get some 14+lb fishing line...tie a hook and put a piece of fish or meat on the end and toss it out...tie it to a branch.

Come back the next day and pull her in.  The snapper will swallow the hook.  Just be quick in dispatching or getting it out of the water...it may bite through the line in a few snaps.  This method works for me for gettting snappers out of lakes and ponds.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 01:55:00 pm »
I used to eat them regularly when I lived in Nebr.  Had one a few years ago here in Wyoming.  Still tasty.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 02:31:43 pm »
I helped pull a monster snapper out of a fyke net in Northern Illinois.  That was quite the process.  I was helping another biologist, so we had to get the thing out alive, to be marked and released.  That was fun. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Kpete

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 12:17:53 pm »
I worked on a Canada Goose and Wood Duck restoration project in Eastern Nebraska in the early 80's.  Snappers got into the enclosed pen and we saw some foot damage on some of the adults and the goslings and ducklings were disappearing.  I made traps that were basically huge minnow traps and baited them with a variety of things.  funnels were oval instead of round. 
I used to catch them in western Nebr by going to a small prairie stream that had oxbows-old stream channels now seperate from the main stream.  They were filled with flooded grass and such.  Early in the spring the snappers woudl be in that water because it would warm up quickly.  YOu could see the flooded grass moving and then step in and try to grab their tail.  If you got the tail the first time all was good.  If you missed the turtles grew more uncooperative and things got a bit more sporty.  We released those turtles into seasoned flour and hot oil.
I have never eaten a soft-shell turtle or leatherback-any body else eat those?

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 01:19:29 pm »
No i havent eaten either ive only had snappers. The weather is finally warming up some here so im gonna set some lines today and see what happens hopefully i get a couple of good sized snappers. Im gonna bait the lines with some catfish guts from the catfish i caught two days ago. They cooked up real good too lol.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 02:45:20 pm »
sounds like  your getting some mileage out of those catty fish.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 04:20:45 pm »
  I catch a couple everyyear out of some ponds I bass fish. My favoret way is to put them in a cooking bag with some SWEET BABY RAY BQ SAUSE. B
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Kpete

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 04:26:52 pm »
oooo!   I may have to look for a snapper to fit in a cooking bag.  Do you skin them first? :o

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 07:52:18 pm »
Yea i can catch catfish all day and night long. I have my own secret bait for them even tho they will hit anything really.