Author Topic: Noob's Very First Bow (Red Oak Board Bow)  (Read 33161 times)

Offline Rich H.

Re: Noob's Very First Bow (Red Oak Board Bow)
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 02:13:53 am »
Here's some pics of what I accomplished today.  I roughed the shape of the limbs and the handle.  Would have done more but had to stop because I realized my spokeshave and plane weren't as sharp as I like and wanted to sharpen them up before getting the limbs to the correct thickness.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:25:27 am by Rich H. »
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
-Albert Einstein

Offline Gordon

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 03:00:53 am »
Looking really good so far.
Gordon

Offline randman

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 03:42:43 am »
That said, I don't think I've enjoyed working on a project this much in quite a while.  If making a bow is this satisfying, how much more so will it be to hold the finished project in my hand and shoot it.

Oh Boy........you're a goner now for sure. There's no hope for you anymore, there's no turning back you're hooked >:D
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 03:51:23 am »
Only thing I see wrong is them wood shavings are supposed to be scatterd all over the floor!!   :o 
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 04:05:01 am »
Rock pn man looking good ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline ScottN

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 02:54:35 pm »
Did you remove your pictures? I'm trying to view them but received a 404 - Attachment not found error page
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 03:51:47 pm »
No pictures visible but glad you are having fun. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 07:01:48 pm »
can't see the pics, good luck!! welcome to the madness
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Rich H.

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 02:33:29 am »
Don't know what happened to the pics.  I re-uploaded them to the posts and they are visible again (I hope.)  I went to my parents house for the weekend so I didn't get any more progress made on the bow.  I did however try my hand at making some bow strings and made a decent Flemish twist string out of B50 for my tillering tree.  Since it's Monday and I'm home again, I'll be back to working on my bow again today.  More pics to come!
-Albert Einstein

Offline Rich H.

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 08:29:50 pm »
Today I thinned down the belly of both limbs to 9/16" with my spokeshave and no. 33 plane.  I cut and glued up a riser made from poplar and red oak scraps and glued it to the handle area of the bow/board (don't know when it officially stops being a board and becomes a bow.)  I also glued on two 2.5" tip overlays made from red oak scrap.  I also snapped a picture of my Flemish twist tillering string that I made over the weekend.
-Albert Einstein

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 09:09:44 pm »
Great work :) That looks like a pretty good board.  Looking forward to the finished product :D

Matt
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Rich H.

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 07:47:42 pm »
Today my board started to look like a bow!  I cut the excess material off the tip overlays and cut some nocks with a round file.  I checked the bow was bending on the floor and it looked like both limbs were bending evenly.  So without further ado I threw it onto my "tree" and started bending it with a long string.  I took my time and exercised about 30 times for every inch I pulled.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know what I'm doing when I'm tillering.  I tried to keep an eye out for obvious hinges or flat spots.  I found that it's hard to see, even if you step back.  I snapped pictures on my phone every few inches looking for problems.  I worked the bow to 28" on the loose string and stopped.  I snapped a few pictures and wanted to know what everyone thinks of the tiller before I move to bracing it up.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Rich H.

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 08:56:27 pm »
While I was waiting for the wife to get home, I figured I'd get out the scale and measure the draw weight.  Unfortunately it maxed out my 50 lb. fish scale before 28" on the long string.   I got the bathroom scale under the tree (zeroed with the bow and tree on the scale) and got about 72 lb. at 28" on the long string.  :o

I guess tomorrow i'm gonna take an 1/8" off the belly and re-tiller it again. :-\
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:58:55 am by Rich H. »
-Albert Einstein

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 08:59:16 pm »
I would get the right limb bending more from mid limb to tip... You are developing a hinge at the fade...

Jon

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 04:04:03 am »
First thing.  DON'T pull the bow passed your target weight.  If you're shooting for 45#, don't pull it passed 45#.  Easy it down inch by inch at the 45#.  Because if the limbs are not bending perfectly, you're going to end up with bow with a lot of set at best or broken at worse.

2nd don't take any more wood off the limbs within 3" of the handle.  Most of your bend in coming from that area.  Get the middle 1/3 of the limbs bending a bit more.  That will releive some of the stress on the inner 1/3, bring it back to an eliptical tiller.

Note the black lines on top of the middle 1/3 of each limb are straight.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:44:41 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw