Author Topic: witch 2 for you?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
witch 2 for you?
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:42:46 pm »
A little while ago o opend my can of urac, now i need to use ot i want to do a boo/ipe elb and also a perry reflex the million dollar question is what two woods lend themselves best to this design, or is it lile pizza toppings what ever you like. I was looking for good color contrast but performance is king on this one. Maby even the same wood pn both sides if need be
Thanks for any suggestions  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: witch 2 for you?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 05:09:02 pm »
What is a perry reflex?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 05:58:58 pm »
What is a perry reflex?

I believe it is where you bend in reflex during glue-up and when the glue dries it holds the reflexed shape.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ian.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 06:03:06 pm »
It's when you glue in re-flex to the back and core, but when you glue the belly you glue the bow back straight. I think  ???
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:24:25 pm »
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:55:15 pm »
Boo and Ipe make a better reflex bow than most. They are probably better for R/D than for an ELB.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:10:04 pm »
so it's just back bent at rest?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:58:07 pm »
Dan explains it himself here.    http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=188683&category=88#2425535

Thanks! That made my ears smoke but got the gears turning ;D

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 11:38:42 pm »
Going from what I read on that link, don't you need. 3 layers for a perry reflex?
To glue the first two together in while reflexed1 direction, and then glue the third on while reflexed in the other direction
Sorry for the confusion if I am wrong.

"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 01:24:53 pm »
Scott D, I think you nailed it. the confusion is from people stating the wrong thing on there. like needing 3 lams. perry reflex is reflexing with a full thickness board and a backing to maximize reflex.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 03:53:42 pm »
I am not sure that thickness has anything to do with it..... The back glued and belly glued into reflex creates a sheer line at the glue line, this sheer line is glued past the neutral plain in reverse (reflexed) so as the bow is pulled it does cause the back, and belly to have a more equalized strain, and the glue line running through the limb to take more stress. otherwise..... internal sheer forces put at the limb inner working glue line. Thats how I understand it anyway.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 07:10:38 pm »
You hit the nail on the head on the thick belly vs. Thin the tec.jargon is over my head but pics.and colors and yoi got it!!!