Author Topic: New member  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Pat1107

« on: May 02, 2012, 04:03:13 pm »
Hey all

Im a new member here and my name is Patrick it seemed the right thing to do to introduce myself. I am from Chattanooga TN, and am new to the bow making world. Im 23 so i have alot to learn but this forum seemed like the right place to go when needing help so i jumped on board. I have not done much with bows ive always loved shooting them, and it wasnt till about 8 months ago that i even thought about making one. I finished my first bow Christmas eve and was excited about this new hobby, even though my first bow did not do well, and eventually failed. I probably wont be teaching anyone here anything about bows so for now im just trying to take it all in and learn but maybe one day ill have some knowledge to pass down. Please be patient with my questions, and of course thanks for any help you can give.

Trying to learn all I can.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 04:10:28 pm »
welcome aboard Patrick!!  Glad to see someone else trapped by this wonderful addiction!  :)  There's lots of very useful information available here as well as a bunch of the world's most knowledgable bowyers here to answer your every question. Alls ya gotta do is ask!  Take care and happy building!   :)   -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:38:26 pm »
Welcome!  Remember, there are no dumb questions, and if there were, I've probably already asked them!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »
You have some fantastic bow wood in your area, namely hickory.  Sadly, your climate is too humid for it to be an effective bow wood.  Therefore, I recommend you go cut some nice straight hickory, split it, season it, then do some horse trading for osage, which seems to be impervious to moisture. 

Now, just to show you some good faith, put me on the top of your customer list for that hickory.  I love the stuff.  We'll just have to do some three-way trading since I don't have any osage growing around here! 

Welcome to the addiction, you can check out but you can never leave.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:48:28 am »
jw, get some oak and  dye it orange.... he wont know the difference( at first >:D >:D >:D )
by the way.... welcome to the monster that will eat all of your free time
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 11:13:14 am »
I suggest you jump in your car and head to here....http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27662.0.html

Welcome to PA. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat1107

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 11:49:32 am »
Gstoneberg

Looks like a cool event to attend but sadly i wont be back in the country till may 15th. Maybe next year though. Also thanks for the bow wood info guys that will be helpful when i am ready for a stave.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 11:58:22 am »
If you're serving in the military I'll send an osage stave to you when you're back.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat1107

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 01:01:26 pm »
No I am not in the military I am a missionary intern in the country of Panama. However i would be interested in the stave! Thanks for your generous offer but you dont have to give me a stave unless you are wanting to get rid of it. I know your intent was if i was in the military to give it as a gift for service to the country. Im glad you are willing to do something like that for military personnel they deserve it.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 01:15:36 pm »
Actually, that's still worthy of the stave.  Our daughter and son-in-law were missionaries in Panama City for 5 years.  Now they've been in the Philippines with Wycliffe Bible Translators for the last 3.  We'll get to see them and our 3 granddaughters in less than a month.  First time seeing them since they left, haven't met the youngest granddaughter yet.  Gonna be good times and lots of spoiling going on.  Already split out a little osage stave for the first of 3 bows.  Be my pleasure to get some osage in your hands.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat1107

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 06:06:16 pm »
Wow thats awesome small world. I know some people who helped with Wycliffe translating the Bible into a native indian tribe in Panama. I know you will have fun seeing the family again, and sounds like youve got some bows to crank out. I would love a stave, and just let me know what information you need.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:25 pm »
 Welcome Patrick !  You are in the good place. Bows,then arrows,then flintknapping then........... Yeah    '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 12:46:38 pm »
Welcome Patrick,you will like it here I feel sure. Thanks for your service,very worthy cause.  I have an Uncle and cousin that are missionary's in Brazil, he has been there 50+ years and kids raised there. Lot of sacrifices to do that.:)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:54:19 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat1107

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 12:21:25 am »
Wow thats awesome Pappy i am always amazed at people who up and move to another country for many years.....Yeah i think i like it here should have checked it out earlier :)

Offline MMSRkid

• Jumping into the Addiction.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 05:38:40 pm »
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself as well. My name is Isaac and I am 15, I am taking a mentorship under JW Halverson. He helped Me take my first wild turkey this spring (4 year old Gobbler) and he is fully immersing me into this (addiction) all of you mention as a returning favor i am building Bird of prey aviaries for him to house small birds of prey. He is helping me build a hackberry bow as my first bow and practice for an Osage orange stave that was started and given to me by Joe York. Both of these guys are great and I'm just glad to be a part of all this. And he is right when he says there are not any Osage trees here.
Life is an occasion. Rise to it. - Zach Helm