Author Topic: Mountain Man Rendezvous Archery Competition  (Read 9598 times)

Offline SlowPaw

• Utah Mountain Man
Mountain Man Rendezvous Archery Competition
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:14:19 am »
Hello, I am new to this forum. My interest is in fur trade era re-enactment. Does anyone know what a mountain man might have been shooting in the Rocky Mountains between 1825 and 1840? Thanks
Great forum!

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Mountain Man Rendezvous Archery Competition
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:37:51 am »
Just a warning,  8)
You my friend are going to get an earfull from JW when he sees your question.. :laugh:
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 03:29:29 am »
Probably a gun... ;)

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 11:16:25 am »
Jeremiah Johnson wanted a hawkens rifle, rememberhe got one from Hachet Jack, the one that kilt the bare that kilt him
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 11:19:02 am »
.50 caliber or better !  ;D  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:32:16 pm »
Of course, EVERYONE knows Hawken was building very few guns during the actual "mountain man era", whatever that was.  And in all likelyhood none of them could afford the half stock rifle or the extremely expensive newfangled caplock innovation.  Cargo lists from the era indicated a vast and overwhelming majority of all guns shipped west to the Rendezvous were smoothbore flintlocks. 

In all the first person accounts I have read about the Fur Trade Era I have yet to come across any white trapper using a bow or mentioning shooting a bow.  Doesn't mean it didn't happen.  Even the Native Americans that came out west from the northeastern tribes were carrying guns. 

Sounds like you are trying to be as historically accurate as possible within the constraints of our modern interpretations of 'rendezvous'.  Fair enough!  So here's a list of questions to consider:

1) What part of the Rockies (or prairies for that matter) that your personna was active?
2) What tribe(s) occupied that area?
3) Where did your personna spend the summers when the pelts were poor?
4) And what tribe(s) occupied that area?

Once you have that narrowed down you should have about a half dozen tribes to chose from.  Find yourself a copy of Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows, & Quivers, Vol. 2, Plains & Southwest by Steve Allely and Jim Hamm. 

If you can't find a bow in there that gets your heart racing you need to leave this Forum and never return!  Things are now about to get difficult because you are probably more like me and you will want at least one of every design in there. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 03:44:56 pm »
Things are now about to get difficult because you are probably more like me and you will want at least one of every design in there.

at least one....
wild women don't get the blues

Offline SlowPaw

• Utah Mountain Man
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 05:11:50 pm »
Got the rifle covered, a Jacob Dickert Museum quality reproduction built by Shawn Webster. Still, It's noisy and smokey and melting lead for the bullets can't be good.
You are absolutely right about me. I have ordered all the books and will have one of each and more!
Thanks for your comments,

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 06:53:58 pm »
SHAWN WEBSTER?!?!?!  I didn't know he built guns?

His quillwork is exceptional.  He has been researching 18th century techniques and materials for a long time and his work is beyond museum quality.  If you have ANY interest in quillwork you gotta search out his work  on the Contemporary Longrifle Association's website. 

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 07:11:48 pm »
Bevan was right   :o
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline SlowPaw

• Utah Mountain Man
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 08:21:25 pm »
Yes, Shawn Webster. He is an old Utah boy you know. He built this very special gun for himself and one day I was in the right place at the right time. He and I share a AMM friend, Chaz Rauch. You don't even want to know what I paid for it. Shawn also made my braintan pants and I ended up with a buckskin frock coat he made through Chaz. He is a truly amazing artist! (and a pretty nice guy)

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 01:20:30 pm »
I will second Mr. Halverson.... I have never seen a mention of their use by "Mountain Men."  My personal interests are more in the Great Lakes fur trade and even there, we RARELY see mention of bow use by Euro-descent folks.  I LOVE bows and shoot a bunch.  Now that my daughters are getting a bit older, I have been shooting more and am getting back to building bows.  Being a history nerd, I am doing a lot with historic bows correct to my local but I do not use them at rendezvous or reenactment anymore.

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 09:43:03 pm »
HOWEVER!  Records do indicate in the 1600's one of the southeastern colonies requesitioned and received a bunch of longbows and arrows!  HA!  So there!  There is no record of them being disbursed, practice sessions established, or being used in defense of the colonial fort.  For all we know they were busted up for kindling.   :-\

Jeez, I can just see someone asking me for the reference for this, now I gotta do some head scratching.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 12:51:01 pm »
However the 17th century Tide Water is not too related to the Great Lakes Fur trade of the 18th century or the Rocky Mtn. FT of the 19th century.   ;D  Still... those occasional references are fun.  Like James Smith and other captives mentioning using bows will they were "Indians."

We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 02:26:24 pm »
Sounds like you are trying to be as historically accurate as possible within the constraints of our modern interpretations of 'rendezvous'.  Fair enough!  So here's a list of questions to consider:

1) What part of the Rockies (or prairies for that matter) that your personna was active?
2) What tribe(s) occupied that area?
3) Where did your personna spend the summers when the pelts were poor?
4) And what tribe(s) occupied that area?

Thanks, JW! That was very helpful. I plan on doing rendezvous when I retire from my job. I've already started gathering stuff for my impression(s).

I'll retire when I'm 51.
 ;D
Doug from Missouri