Author Topic: does this look like a good piece  (Read 4845 times)

Offline danny f

does this look like a good piece
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:04:40 pm »
hi all, had a ride to a wood yard today that sells hardwood(there arent many that do round here) anyway i found this piece of white ash which is 2"x2" and 7ft long the grain is as straight as a die, the grain looks nice and tight. i was thinking i could poss get 2 bows out of it by having it cut down the centre but which way should it be cut?, do i have the very tight grain as the back of the bow or the slightly wider side grain as the back? the man in the yard said a bloke comes in all the time for ash to make bows and said he had been in this morning. so he must find the wood ok. also is this piece quarter cut? i dont have a clue lol.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: does this look like a good piece
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:07:25 pm »
If it was me, I would cut it like this and make edge grain bows.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:12:23 pm »
I agree with Bevan.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline danny f

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 03:12:44 pm »
cheers for the reply, are edge grain bows as strong as other bows this will be my first proper bow. and will tillering be the same as with a standard grain bow. sorry for all the questions im a noob lol.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:17:18 pm »
I would back it with something, maybe brown paper bag or linen.
But Yes, edge grain bows are just fine. See Half Eyes latest little masterpiece. Edge grain osage. Tilling will be the same, take your time and get the limbs bending even. That looks like a good piece of wood to make a couple of bows from.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 03:22:23 pm »
With grain like it doesn't need a backing, but If it is your first bow, back it for sure..

Jon

Offline randman

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 03:40:55 pm »
I agree with Bevan but only if the grain lines on the side that you are not showing look just like the side you are showing. If the grain lines are angled or run off on the side you are not showing there could be problems. That looks like a great piece of wood from the views you have shown. If the lines on the side are that straight also, That's a near perfect piece.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 03:42:48 pm »
i dont think you need to back that, go edge grain like everyone said, what kind of bow do you want to build, i'd build flatbows and if it's a full 2"x2" you can get 4 bows out of that stick, at least three, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline danny f

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 04:12:34 pm »
cheers for all the advice. the grain is very straight on all four sides. there was more there with very good grain but i could only afford the one lol. they also had some nice pieces of white oak,  i was thinking along the flat bow route as i like the look of them.  does anyone know of any good build alongs on here before i do a search. the wood is not quite a full 2" its just over 1 3/4" so wil probably just go for 2 bows out of it so i have plenty of wood to work with. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 05:16:53 pm »
you can still get three bows, go with a pyramid design, four inch grip 2 1/2" fades 68" tip to tip, 66" ntn, full width at the fades and straight taper to 1/2" tips, you can glue on a  9" piece at the center for the grip fade area, i you start with the limbs a full half inch thick you should have plenty of meat to work with to tiller, there is a good board bow series on youtube, and it's a pyramid design, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mesquite

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 05:22:20 pm »
whats a board like that go for?  ???

Offline danny f

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 05:43:20 pm »
thanks bubby i will have to check out the vids on youtube. mesquite  i paid £23 for the wood (im in the uk)  which is great  if i can get 3 bows out of it, they had plenty of good wood in there so i can see myself spending alot of time and money in there lol.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 05:54:27 pm »
Today that would be $37.13 today...

Pretty piece of wood...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 06:20:54 pm »
I had a similar piece of Osage recently, but not having access to a bandsaw, I picked a ring and made a single growth-ring back selfbow out of it.  That's always an option for you, if you don't want to glue on a handle.  I s'pose you'd prefer to try for 2 or 3 edge grainers, though.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 10:01:21 pm »
Edge grain it is......I agree with that.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II