Author Topic: Another hickory flatbow  (Read 3427 times)

Offline briarjumper12

Another hickory flatbow
« on: May 11, 2012, 10:05:54 am »
I built this one for a gentleman in Arizona who is forging me a longsword.  It's 66 ttt. 1 5/8 wide.  Pulls 53@28.  I built a dozen arrows for him too. Popular with reinforced selfnocks wieghing in 560 grains.  With those arrows the bow shot 140 fps at my draw lenght of 27.  Overall I am very pleased.  In the first pic is the first bow I built for him.  I cracked the belly during the process of flipping the tips but went ahead and finished it out.  It shoots too but I didn't want to send it to him so I done up another.  Here's some pics.

Offline briarjumper12

Re: Another hickory flatbow
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 10:08:15 am »

And a pic of one of the arrows.

Thanks for looking and if you have any suggestions for improvements I am always willing to learn something new.
John

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:20:49 am »
I suggest you send your next few bows to me for closer inspection. Then I can properly critique your work. ;)

No...just kidding...nice job. I like the matching red strike plate and feathers. The stain job looks good too and nice bend.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:25:30 am »
Very nice Hickory stick.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:00:06 am »
Natural Beauty that.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:51:11 am »
Really like the stained handle and natural back!!!

That arrow is cool !!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »
Thank ya'll for the kind words.  It brings me much joy to hear that someone out there appreciates this art.  I hope to be able to run with the big dogs someday.  I've seen some amazing work on this site.
John

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:32:13 pm »
Great looking bow!  Hickory is one of my favorites.

Offline Cherokee B.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:54:23 pm »
Nice one ;) I love them ole hickory trees :laugh: :laugh: Did you happen to use some sort of charcoal? When I do my hickory bows i will sometimes add some charcoal to the finnish. I love mine dark and smooth >:D
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men... Colossians 3:23
Don't tread on me!

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 02:42:23 pm »
Nice one ;) I love them ole hickory trees :laugh: :laugh: Did you happen to use some sort of charcoal? When I do my hickory bows i will sometimes add some charcoal to the finnish. I love mine dark and smooth >:D

I used a mixture of two minwax stains.  Ebony and Driftwood.  I can't find the driftwood anymore though.  When it's gone it's gone.
This fall I plan on gathering some walnuts and making some natural stain with it and thought about mixing in charcaol with it too.  I too like them dark and smooth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 07:16:28 pm »
Nice bow. I love the hickory back grain.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.