Author Topic: Turkey Tail  (Read 2539 times)

Offline wolleybugger

Turkey Tail
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:12:28 am »
Shot a little jake and wanted to mount the tail. I salted the heck out of it where there was a little meat left on, someone told me to use Borax. Hope it turns out, anyone ever done one???

Offline Adam

Re: Turkey Tail
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:33:06 am »
I did and it worked well.  There's an article on the NWTF website that does a great job explaining the process.  I used Bondo car body putty to help hold the feathers together and give a base to screw the mounting hardwear on.  It was a fun project.

Offline raghorns

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:27:44 am »
Salt draws out the moisture....change it a couple of times.

Lyle
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:11:19 am »
Here's what I do.  I'm terminally cheap so I try not to buy anything.  First I remove as much meat and fat out of the tail as I can, salt it good and tack it to a piece of drywall.  You can see 2 nails holding the fan open in this picture while it dries.  You have to do this right after the meat is removed and the salt is applied.

While it's drying I prepare a round of cedar wood to form the plaque.  They're chain sawed about an inch thick.  I get them mostly flat with a hand belt sander, then finish it on the stationary belt sander.  It gets a couple coats of poly to seal it up and make it shiny.  Then a round piece of plywood is cut and painted black to cover the base of the tail.  After the tail is dry I use drywall screws to attach the tail to the plaque and the plywood to the tail.  It looks like this when it's done.

Hope this helps.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 01:43:27 am »
Nice bird George  ;) i have not used salt, just cleaned fat/ meat ,and borax them .spread out to dry like George said to. I have only done 6 so im open to better ways i may throw salt on the next before the borax
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 01:13:16 pm »
remove all the meat and fat down to the quills if possible.  Spread out fan and pin in place  then borax heavy.  I will change the borax with fresh borax after a few weeks.  I let the tail dry like this for 4 or 5 months or longer.  The I make a special plaques for them to sit in.  Usually out of cypress or red cedar.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 10:32:36 pm »
I've done the Borax route and then took a tip from a Taxidermist. I made a frame from a close hanger and used multiple layers of leather to make a nice plaque. When I get back from bow fishing tomorrow I'll post some pictures.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?