Author Topic: A Seagrape Bow (New Pictures)  (Read 8464 times)

Offline Parnell

A Seagrape Bow (New Pictures)
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:51:16 pm »
A little over a year ago I spied a Seagrape that was starting to grow into the roof of a foreclosed house across the street.  I figured I'd be a good sumaritan and cut a few of the limbs that were causing so much trouble.  This is a bow that I've had shooting for probably 9-10 months.  Originally, it had been longer by about 4 inches.  It pulled very smooth with no stack to speak of, but I figured I'd pike it to pick up some more power.  Glad I did.
I really love this bow.  I dressed it up about a month ago with the wrap, sheep hide strips, wool yarn and a little mini floppy rest that I tied down with Irish linen.  It has a couple of coats of Tung Oil, but it's not shiny.  I like this bow looking, well, native.

Sea Grape is very elastic.  I can't say I've made a sinew backed cedar, but I feel like this bow must be kinda like that.  It just flexes really well and maintains a solid punch.  I heat treated the belly and with the right arrow, it just does the job.

I have another shorty that I'll probably post next month.  I hope more people out there experiment with bow woods that aren't mainstream.  I've had fun with this.

This bow is 56" - 55ntn.  I haven't scaled it but I'm saying 55# at my 27-28.

Thanks,

Stephen 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:45:44 pm by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

Re: A Seagrape Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:52:30 pm »
Few more...
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:00 pm »
Very nice bends. I love seeing tempered whitewood. Its the best thing you can do to it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:44 pm »
Wow!  That's a lot of bend  :o 

Nice looking bow.  I've never heard of seagrape.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 10:09:54 pm »
Sweet bend in that sucker.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:34:50 pm »
Very interesting wood, and a great job putting the bend to it...i am in the same camp as double o, i have never heard of seagrape is it a tree or a vine ???
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 11:00:41 pm »
Generally it's seen here in S. Florida as a beach break shrub like tree.  It has leaves the diameter of softballs that are very leathery.  I'll try to get some pictures of the tree I cut from tomorrow and post them.  Sometimes, I think it would be fun to write an article about the peculiar woods that grow down here.
1’—>1’

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 12:00:56 am »

Really nice bend on that one. I like those shorties!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 12:08:58 am »
Beautiful bend Steve. I got to see this bow at the Classic. Very cool bow and interesting wood.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline k-hat

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 12:55:25 am »
Very nice, great tiller as well.  I think it's pretty cool how the list of 2 or three "good" bow woods from years ago just keeps growing and growing! 

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 02:08:55 am »
I'm going to be experimenting with the piece you gave me shortly! Thanks a lot!!

Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 05:57:31 am »
Very nice,I seen and drew that one at the Classic,didn't get a chance to shoot it but it was very smooth to draw. Nice job ,beautiful bend. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline druid

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 10:05:37 am »
Excellent bow! What is latin name for sea grape?

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 01:40:21 pm »
Excellent bow! What is latin name for sea grape?

It's Coccoloba uvifera.

I know not because of my amazing tree knowledge, actually I just looked it up on Wikipedia.  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccoloba_uvifera
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline mississippidave

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 03:29:15 pm »
Hey Steve!  I'm glad you put this one up......I enjoyed seeing it at the Classic!  You should post the little one too!  Cheers, Dave