Author Topic: "thunderbird" atlatl  (Read 4941 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
"thunderbird" atlatl
« on: May 20, 2012, 02:38:24 pm »
I was quite disappointed when the 47" sinew backed yew paddle bow I was making blew.  :( It broke at the fade on one limb and distroyed that limb. Most of the handle and the other limb were OK so I thought I'd make my first atlatl from the remains of my paddle bow.  I don't really know where to go from here. I know a dart or two are in order. I'll make a few  to match the thrower.
 I attached the deer antler "hook" to the back side of the tip with 2ton epoxy(I was using it for something else) then sinew wraps set in TB glue and two coats of shellac overall so far.  Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed. This is what I have now...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: "thunderbird" atlatl
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 02:54:25 pm »
Looks great Pat.  I like to cover mine with snakeskin.  You mat have to experiment with the dart size or the spur size.  The spur looks small, but I'm on my phone.  I wouldn't make the Nick on the dart too big.  The spur may bust it on release.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 03:07:24 pm »
Are straps important for your fingers. I haven't put on a handle wrap yet thinking maybe to incorperating straps(loops) for my fingers.  :-\   ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 03:37:46 pm »
Looks good, Pat. Straps give me better control when I'm holding the dart.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 12:21:01 am »
I agree with Mullet,  straps definitely help on the control.  My personal preference is the type that goes over the middle an ring finger.  But I would imagine there are quite a few that prefer the more traditional thumb and index finger type.   Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 12:51:06 am »
I've not seen that type, Josh. I think I like it but I want to try a few different types to see which I like best.   Thanks for posting this, though.  ;)

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:46:15 am »
Straps are not necessary but as mentioned previously, they give more control and thrust to your throw... I have some that havve straps and some that dont.. the spur looks good to me but is at a slightly lower angle than what I like on mine..

As far as a dart goes, I like mine between 5.5 and 6 feet. You can spine a dart by taking a bathroom scale, setting the tip of your dart on the scale and pushing down on the end of it, until the weight stops increasing.. I like my spine around 5 pounds.... I use 3, 7 inch feathers cut about an inch high.. don't bother wih helical, it does nothing to help the darts...

If it were mine, I would also narrow the body of the atlatl slightly to decrease resistence, but that is really just personal preference..

jon

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 01:54:08 pm »
Hola amigo. That's a good save  ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 05:58:35 pm »
Cool Pat!  I've made one myself since returning from the classic and throwing josh's there.  I've got a bamboo dart w/ a POC foreshaft and a field point, two chicken feathers for fletching.  no loops, but may try.  I've been throwing it about 50 yards, after about 20 throws I was just missing the 3D deer target @ 20 yards.  Sweet job, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline gigmaster

• The Naturalpath
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 06:16:49 am »
I have never put straps on any of mine. But I did make an Inuit-Style atlatl with a finger-hole in the handle. Boy, does it ever give you some extra leverage! I use it for spearing carp from my Kayak. Straps may be a good thing.

Here are a few of mine. I make the darts from two Easton aluminum 2316 shafts, and a coupler. That way, I can interchange field points, broadheads, or a fishing point. They are also easier to transport in two sections in a kayak, or other vehicle.

Are straps important for your fingers. I haven't put on a handle wrap yet thinking maybe to incorperating straps(loops) for my fingers.  :-\   ???
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 06:24:05 am by gigmaster »

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 09:56:55 am »
Pat, a shame about that bow, but you are putting the material to good use. Yours reminds me of an Austalian Woomera, which functioned as a digging tool as well.

I love finger loops, but it is up to you. I agree, the spur is a bit high, but if it works, keep it as is. My favorite style is the basketmaker style, and with the finger loops, it lets me pull the dart up tight against the spur. I also like flexible atlatls, another feature of the basketmaker style.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts