Author Topic: new girl from Pennsylvania  (Read 13663 times)

Offline Chicknlady

• outdoor and survival enthusiast, newbie archer
Re: new girl from Pennsylvania
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 09:32:08 am »
That Samick of my son's really is a nice bow, from what I can tell.  At least it seems to shoot alot smoother and quieter than my home-made bow.  I'm sure the shoe-lace string doesn't help... I did break down from the "survival" archery idea, and just ordered a spool of bowstring.  I'd like to try real sinew someday, maybe if we get a deer this fall I'll try it.  I have been eying up road-kill, but am not sure if you can get arrested for removing "parts" like that!

Glad to see some chicken-enthusiasts here!  Criveraville, too bad about no chickens... luckily we have lots of room here, and my husband just rolls his eyes at my chickens (as long as he doesn't have to take care of them!), and he does enjoy the eggs!  gstoneberg, my other two Aracaunas (since passed on) laid green eggs, but this one lays pale cream-colored eggs.  For a few years, I had brown, white, and green eggs.  It was neat.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 10:31:14 am »
Hmm, there seems to be a love/hate chicken deal going on with spouses.  My wife grew up on a farm and ended up hating chickens as tending them was her job.  I always wanted them and while we lived on the acreage we always had some.  She was OK with that as long as I took care of them.  It was a fight to keep them alive around so many predators though since I liked free range chicken eggs.  The last couple years I finally gave up on the layers and just did broilers and turkeys.  Sure do miss that good meat, store bought chicken is not the same.  OK, back to bow making.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 12:24:37 pm »
 ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Chicknlady

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 09:58:38 pm »
LOL, jackcrafty, that's awesome!  Glad people here understand chicken humor... makes the world a better place!

Son and I did some shooting tonite.  Anybody here ever hear of Japanese knotweed?  It's an invasive species, looks like bamboo, and we have a huge patch of it up on the hill which we like to "wack down" with sticks... very therapeutic!  Anyways, my son brought a big 1" stem down and leaned it up against the haybales and we had fun shooting it.  We each actually shot it through several times, but we were at 30 feet or so... newbies!

Here's a pic of my son with his Samick Shadow.  It's 48", 30 pounds.

Mullet, yes, he has flip flops on too!   ;D ;D

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 10:54:07 pm »
cool n fun stuff chicknlady....where abouts in general in pa are ya from? im just north of pittsburgh.....theres several other folks from this communist...eh hemm..i mean commonwealth state too  ;D   if your close by n need any help with making bows let me know n ill help ya out

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 08:15:25 am »
Welcome chicknlady,you sound like you should fit right in,I also could live off eggs,no chickens myself but several friends that do and they keep me stocked with eggs.Good looking sapling bow,tiller looks very good for a quickie bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 10:49:48 am »
Welcome to our addiction !!
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Chicknlady

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 09:22:35 pm »
You guys are great!  Thanks for the big welcome.  Blackhawk, we're just outside of Bradford, which is sorta "north" of Pittsburgh... maybe we're neighbors  ;D!   It's a great town, not too big not too small, and people are really friendly.  We have over 100 acres, mostly woods, beautiful country.  Nothing is posted here, mostly oil & timber companies own the surface.  As long as you don't run an ATV (game wardens actually ticket on private ground!) , you can do most whatever you want; hunt, hike, forage, whatever!  I can't wait til I get "good enough" to try some stump shooting. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 09:37:52 pm »
Losing your first batch of homemade arrows while stumpshooting is a great motivator for better shooting. 

Don't ask how I know this!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 11:07:30 pm »
Isn't that one of Murphy's laws?  The odds of losing an arrow are directly proportional to how much you like it and how hard it was to make. ???

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 07:44:11 pm »
Chickenlady, I'm just south of Erie and we also have Japenese knotweed, it's an invasive species an also edible, I have ate some an it's okay  :-\ but i prefer a good helping of stinging nettles with my eggs ;D Later Bob  and Welcome.

Offline johnston

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 09:40:51 pm »
Not to be out done let me say that I love chickens too because I can usually
get off 3-4 shots before they move.

Welcome.

Offline Chicknlady

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 02:21:04 pm »
lol, johnston, don't think that the thought hasn't crossed my mind!  I had to move the hay-bales last night because the new birds were in the chicken "tractor" right behind ...  good thing, son and I were both pretty shoddy last night... we got new tabs.  He lost another arrow under the grass, and I had told him the next time he looses one that I'm painting his all hot pink, shaft and everything.  But I'm afraid he won't want to shoot anymore!  The neighbor girl might see it  ;D.

Bob, didn't know that you can eat that knotweed.  We could probably feed the world with the stuff we have around here.  We don't eat it, but it fun as all get-out to smack it down with sticks this time of year when it's nice n tender.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 06:17:55 pm »
Is Bradford anywhere close to Ford City? I have a buddy there that I go up and hunt turkeys with every now and then.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Chicknlady

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 09:16:53 pm »
Not sure where Ford City is... we're in the northwest part of the state, right on the New York State line south of Buffalo.  Alot of turkeys here.  This is a pic I got with my game camera I leave set up behind the house all the time... I'm trying to catch Big Foot  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:!

looks like maybe a gobbler... I think I see the end of a beard??