Author Topic: Sleeved Takedown Bow build along  (Read 21922 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Sleeved Takedown Bow build along
« on: September 03, 2007, 08:17:33 pm »
I got a couple of billets from Pat when I was at the Tennessee Classic, I think they were sassafras. Photo 1 shows the back I was asking you about Pat. Today while I was outside with Cody while he was working on his bow, I started to fit them to the takedown sleeve.  I decided to post a build along of the fitting process. The sleeve I will be using is a large takedown sleeve from 3-Rivers.  The sleeve pieces fit to tight to each other.  Somebody on here told me to cut the inside piece then smash them tight. I cant remember who told me, but you know who you are.  I fitted the wood without this step and put it together, and I couldn't get it apart, so don't skip this step.  Photo two shows the sleeve insert cut with a hacksaw.  I then squeezed it in the vice until the sides of the cut stayed tight against each other.  I cut the wood to the width of the sleeve, then cut it to depth. After that I just got busy with the rasp, then the belt sander to make the wood fit into the sleeve without expanding the hacksaw cut.  Once it fits, you can put the pieces on the wood and test fit it to the handle piece.  Now I am ready to glue, I am just not sure what kind of glue to use.  Any suggestions?  Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Sleeved Takedown Bow build along
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 08:18:47 pm »
A couple more.

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 08:41:30 pm »
Justin, That is hickory. ;D Now I remember. ::)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 08:45:39 pm »
Hey Justin, that is classy. Some good hints too.

Dick

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:55:51 pm »
Justin, That is hickory. ;D Now I remember. ::)     Pat
That is not what you told me before.  Of course that was a month before you gave it to me.  Maybe you changed your mind on what you wanted to give me.  :o ;D Justin
BTW I'm only kidding, I cant remember that far back. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 10:21:53 pm by Justin Snyder »

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 10:07:46 pm »
Glad your doin the build along Justin! I'm planning on trying that some day, have a hard time finding long pieces of good osage.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 10:20:43 pm »
I had a little propeller twist so I tried to take it out by not lining the backs up perfectly.  You can see I have a little left. OK I have a lot left and I'm going to have to remove some now.  Justin

SW Utah

tradrick

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 11:32:13 pm »
I've always wondered about a T/D selfbow.Do they still perform well ? I know I can think of more than once were transporting one would have been more convinant if it was a T/D.And I don't even get to hunt out of state.Very cool Justin.tradrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:55:37 am »
Justin, what are the dimensions of the bow? She ought to perform well in your dry(usually) climate.
    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:24:17 pm »
I'm currently working on my second takedown using the small 3 Rivers sleeve.  I love the portability, and sometimes it's the only option for short billets.

Here's a question.-- why are two inner sleeves necessary?  I'm inclined to just fit one end directly into the outer sleeve, and one end into one of the the copper inner sleeves.  Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

-Tom

brokennock

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 02:27:37 pm »
Why cut the inner sleeve? Wouldn't this allow it to be expanded too far to fit in the outer sleeve? I still haven't started my takedown so I don't know for sure.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 05:47:48 pm »
Stickhead, I think it would work without the second brass sleeve, but you can get a better fit if you use it. It allows you to see how far you have inserted the wood. Then you can see the butt end to get a better glue up, and allows you to clean up the glue after gluing.
Brokennock,  The inner brass sleeves were to dang tight to get them back apart without beating it with a hammer.  If you cut then squeeze it closed, you can slide the brass piece out without beating up the bow. You just have to make sure you fit it so the gap is closed before you glue.  Once it is glued, there are no worries. Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 05:44:07 am »
Very nice justin,nice build along.The wood looks like Hickory or Iron wood from the back. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 11:09:19 am »
Thanks Pappy, it is hickory.  I was comparing it to the hickory I brought from your place, and it don't look much like it.  It has a different color and density. 
Pat, I haven't forgot you.  68" TTT, 1 3/4"wide from fades to 10" past.  Tapers to 1/2", 3" before the tips, then is 1/2" to tips. It is still 5/8" thick.  I need to heat it and take out the propeller and maybe reflex it a little.  Then I will thin and narrow.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 07:06:46 pm »
Justin,
Thanks for the build along, this is one I tried befor and did not have good results doing.  I will have to try it again.

Mark