Author Topic: Straightening Shafts  (Read 1945 times)

Offline ncpat

Straightening Shafts
« on: June 01, 2012, 02:03:25 pm »
I have read here & elsewhere about straightening bamboo or dowel shafts by steam or other heat, & flexing them to remove the bend. I used to read that a lot of Indian arrow makers straightened shafts by heating & hanging from a limb, with a rock tied to the bottom. Any reason that would not work today? I would think heating & hanging overnight would make a shaft as straight as possible.
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline wasanchez

Re: Straightening Shafts
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:11:41 pm »
I was actually talking to father in law about that a couple of weeks ago.  I haven't tried it but he said he knew some people that would hang cinder blocks from cane shafts to straighten them.  I don't see why it wouldn't work for other types of shafting as well. I think he said they would hang it green and let it dry that way.  I plan on trying next time I cut cane.

Walt
Walter Sanchez
Moulton, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 03:49:44 pm »
Cane and wood shafts are easy to straighten with a little heat(dry heat not steam) and hand pressure. It just takes time to do.   I think if you could straighten a shaft by hanging it with weights you are still gonna have to hand straighten some.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wasanchez

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 03:12:32 am »
He did say they still weren't perfect.

Walt
Walter Sanchez
Moulton, TX

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 10:24:29 pm »
  If you hang them and I have with bricks. When take off they''ll still flex back to there aridigional bend. Dry heat and your hands can't be beat. AFTER THAT YOU DO'N'T NEED TO HANG THEM.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING