Author Topic: first handrill fire  (Read 14386 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
first handrill fire
« on: September 03, 2007, 09:47:33 pm »
Thanks for your help guys.  Here's some pics of my first fire.  I thought I'd share them with you since everyone else just thinks I'm the neighborhood wierdo!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Traverse City, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: first handrill fire
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 09:52:56 pm »
Great job.  I am the neighborhood weirdo.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

jamie

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:00:52 pm »
rick, welcome to the neighborhood wierdo club. peace now that ive seen your face it all clicks. hows the wife and kid.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:02:21 pm »
Impressive :D!! Weirdo?? I've been getting funny looks and chit chat behind my back for coupla years. Modern day folk just don't seem to view the past as it was actually reality. It's like the fact that somebody invented the light bulb - oh, OK - hey lets rent a movie and how bout some KFC for supper. Today's conveinences are the only real reality to most. After picking up a stone point, I've sat and thought about who built it, and what it must have been like back then - you can build that vision in your mind of a place with no roads, buildings, planes, etc. It happened and I love the fact ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 08:16:40 am »
Hey, yet another wierdo! Nice job on the fire. I made my first bow fire a few months back, at Jamie's primitive meet, and it was an amazing feeling. I'm with Cowboy, love to channel the past through some object or artifact, I do the same with old buildings and stone walls, wondering who was here, how they lived, why they are gone.

Even my wife thinks I am a bit of a weirdo, in a nice way. She tells her friends I am always walking through the house with horn, stone, wood, etc, nothing normal at all. If real life is sitting in front of the TV for five hours each night and then going to bed, forget it, I'll remain abnormal.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 09:41:49 am »
Nice fire and congrats but I prefer eccentric over weirdo ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 10:01:10 am »
When I lit my first primitive fire (with a bow drill) my wife told me that I was eccentric.
I said" Honey you know I dont have enough money to be eccentric."
She said "OK then you are just plain-o-weird."
I have been just plain-o-weird ever since. ;D

Sure is fun.  Being weird and all..

David

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 11:40:14 am »
Congratulations, it's an amazing feeling getting fire from a couple sticks, ain't it? I don't trust anybody who isn't wierd.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:07:40 pm »
Ok all ready so I am weird also, hope yer satisfied
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 06:14:53 pm »
Rick:  Can you tell us about type wood you used, tender, etc, etc.  I'd like to give it a try.

Otoe

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 09:16:21 pm »
You know, if you think about it, "weird" usually just means you have more skills than someone else, and "normal" means you're a slug ;D. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go play with sticks ;).

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 10:08:55 pm »
As much as I hate technology, At least it gives us wierdo's a place to chat.  I think it is some sort of grand plan that we are dispersed among "normal" society.    Jamie the wife and kid are doing great.  The boy is much bigger than when you last saw him. We are off to Montana for a bit, and I have a feeling it's going to be a little harder with him on my back than it was in CT.  As far as materials, I used a piece of horseweed about 30" long about 3/8" at tip.  A red cedar fire board and the tinder bundle was a mix of dry grass, pine needles, really fine shavings of locust bark and a little bit of tinder fungus.  It is amazing how much fun it is making things from free materials you find in the woods especially fire.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 07:25:29 pm »
People always look at you funny when you're doing something right ;D. Einstien was a weirdo wa'n't he? :)

Offline Dane

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 07:55:47 pm »
Ok all ready so I am weird also, hope yer satisfied

Dana, I am glad you finally admitted it. "Hello, group. My name is Dana, and I'm a wierdo." :)
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 12:58:01 am »
Is this also the weirdo support group?  ??? ;D 'cause if it is, I think I'm in the right place.... ;D
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.