Author Topic: "Badger"  (Read 5392 times)

Offline osage outlaw

"Badger"
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:12:10 pm »
I finally finished up my bow that I made at the Classic.  This bow is very special to me because I got everything except the stave from people I met down there.  I got the string and the moose nock overlay pieces from Clay, the leather came from a super nice vendor, and the prairie rattler skins came from Matt Wirwicki.  The skins were beautiful until I messed them up.  I tried Gordons superglue trick on the scales and it left a haze over the skins.  Now they look frozen  :(  Another reason this bow means so much to me is that I built it in the company of great bowyers.  Blackhawk and Hickory Bill were working on their bows next to me the first night.  The next day, I sat down on the bench next to Badger and worked on it.  I watched him make a bow for a young girl who liked to beat up boys.  Then he helped an older gentleman, I think his name is James, make a couple of bows.  I sat there and enjoyed some great conversations with both of them while I worked.  I hope that some of Badgers knowledge soaked into my brain  :P  I enjoyed the experience so much that I decided to name my bow after him.  After shooting it in and sanding, it settled in at 50 lbs @25".  It is 61" ntn.  One limb is a little snakey.  It held a little bit of reflex also.

And a special full draw picture for Blackhawk  ;)

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

Re: "Badger"
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:30:56 pm »
That finished up real nice Clint...i cant wait for next years festivities to build alongside you again and a great hoard of fellow bowyers.....i think the skins still look nice  :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:37:15 pm »
That's awesome! Great tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:50:47 pm »
That is a nice one, Clint. I saw you working on it and wondered how it came out. It seems like when you leave the Classic you can't help but ooze knowledge.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 10:00:54 pm »
Now that's a fine lookin' bow.  And a well fitting name for her too.  An osage tree fell and you gave it a new life and purpose.  I can't wait to see the meat it brings.  Good on ya, Clint!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:04:40 pm by MWirwicki »
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 11:06:48 pm »
Lookin good !!

I don't know if I will be able to go to the Classic again But my heart will be there and no one can take the memories from me !
Keep up the fine work Clint !!!!!

Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 11:08:32 pm »
Thanks guys  :)   As of now, this will be my hunting bow for this fall.  Hopefully this year I can actually kill a deer.

Blackhawk:  Next year I'll bring more staves to work on.  Maybe you can show my how to build a Molly
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 11:55:16 pm »
Thanks guys  :)   As of now, this will be my hunting bow for this fall.  Hopefully this year I can actually kill a deer.

Blackhawk:  Next year I'll bring more staves to work on.  Maybe you can show my how to build a Molly

Not sure if i know how to do that,i think i forgot how,so im prob not the right guy to show ya how to build one  :P....dont know if i can teach a bengals fan :P  ;D  :laugh:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 12:24:09 am »
Nice bow, Clint. There is lots of Medicine floating around the Classic. Looks like you soaked some up.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 12:41:33 am »
  Thats quite an honor! Ithouroughly enjoyes shooting the breeze with you over the weekend. It was a great outing for a lot of us. By the way, the bow looks great.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 01:07:09 am »
Really nice job, Clint. Man, I hate I couldn't make it this year. :'(
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 03:50:10 am »
Great bow, great story :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 08:07:00 am »
Beautiful bow! Those skins look real nice to me...
Don't shoot!

Offline rps3

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 10:37:18 am »
Fine looking bow. Sounds like this Classic event is quite the gathering. Is it held yearly?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 10:44:31 am »
I'm sorry the superglue trick didn't work out for you. Did you remove the scales before wiping with superglue? That notwithstanding, the bow turned out excellent.
Gordon