Author Topic: Almost Caught knapping in class!  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Almost Caught knapping in class!
« on: June 05, 2012, 10:41:18 pm »
"Almost" being the operative term
Well this is kinda awkward...
In earth science were practicing for the NY regents lab (Friday) and we need to I'D rock and mineral samples, & whadda ya know, I get obsidian. We had nine minutes to I'D and fill out a flow chart. I was done with that in about 1 minute. And so I was daydreaming about being handed a sample of obsidian and than giving the teacher back an arrowhead(she doesn't really like me too much :P)
And while I am day dreaming my hands developed their own minds... I was a quarter way through a bi-face before I realized the implications if what I had done(these samples are considered NY state property and are supposed to be kept meticulous)
I used my pen and a compass point to push off flakes...
I now had to scramble with only a minute left, I swept all the flakes off the table into my pocket and put the sample back in it's bag(luckily the bag was cotton and not see through)
So then the teacher came around to collect the stuff and she stopped in front of my table, and picked up a thumbnail sized flake off the floor
"what is this" she said with fire in her eyes
"it looks like a peice of my sample, that is called conchoidial fracture right?"(I think she knew that I knew that ::))
"yes" she said suspiciously
And she took my papers and sample bag and went to the next table!!!

That was a CLOSE one... This is the teacher that took 1/2 credit off a lab because I got a(tiny) food stain on it. I don't even want to know what she would have done if she saw me "defiling NY state property"

-Billy
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:46:28 pm by Youngboyer2 »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline TRACY

Re: Almost Caught knapping in class!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:48:12 pm »
Can't imagine the look on the next person's face that got the sample had you knapped it into a point!

I allow students in my science class to break rock and attempt friction fires w/ bow drill as long as they can explain what's going on :)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 11:10:28 pm »
LOL. I wonder if you had that deer in the headlights look to ya.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 12:37:16 am »
Make her a nice point (Well dulled ) and see if she likes you better.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 07:21:56 am »
That's funny. I think we all had that teacher. Lol..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:03:14 am »
@Tracy
I was only 1/4 way through the first bi-face
Man do I wish I had you for a teacher :) that would be a fun class

@Sparrow
I figure that this studen-hates-teacher-who-hates-student relationship has gone past the point of gifts, although she has lightened up a little in the past month. She would probably have me carted off. For bringing a weapon(no matter how dull) to class

@tower
I like to call it the "iwasnt doinganythingwrong" look :)
@cowboy
Lucky me I have at least one of those teachers each year
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 03:02:01 pm »
your lucky, when i was in school they could still beat on you with a ruler or a big a$$ paddle, i'll take a mean look any day, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 07:13:34 pm »
That's funny. I think we all had that teacher. Lol..

That is why I made the transition to teach ;)
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 02:24:21 am »
I think she likes you....you know, kinda like the girl who kicks you in the shin, then later admits she always liked you. Heck you play your cards right in a few yrs you will be dating her....teacher's these days! :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:57:52 pm »
 hey you should try and talk yer parents into home schooling you,  i did that and i got to build bows, arrows, knives, fires, flint and obsidian points, trade points and even got to forge horseshoes as long as i seem to be learning something
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"