Author Topic: Burlington Brothers - the beginning  (Read 5953 times)

Stringman

Burlington Brothers - the beginning
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:01:55 am »
Ok. So I had this idea. I wanted to do something a little different with the bow trade theme. So earlier this year when I went up to John's (iowabow) house for his little get to together I took a couple pieces of prime osage. They were actually sister staves and well dried. At some point I approached John about the idea and then remembered I had a third stave off that split at home, so I invited JW into the little scheme as well.

The plan was to take one of the sister staves and build your best bow and trade it to the next guy. All three bows will have come from the same 1/8th split of a massive osage tree and we decided to name them all Burlington Brothers.

So after names went in the hat, I drew John's and got started as soon as I got home. I quickly realized my stave wasnt perfect and what looked like an easy build turned frustrating. In the bottom limb I found a wind check that went all the way through the limb. I decided to cut it out completely, but that left me with only about an inch of width on the working limb. And so the challenge was on. Could I make a bow with a little bit of hedge?

John's wanted a 62" bow to draw 55 - 60# @ 24"...

Stringman

Re: Burlington Brothers - the beginning
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:12:35 am »
After reflexing the stave I realized that it was gonna come in light with the narrow limbs. So I turned all my attention toward making sure I nailed the tiller early without a lot of scraping. i also, contacted my buddy Cipriano for a set of skins because the bow was taking on a little character and I wanted to really show it off.

After gettin a good idea of the floor tiller I went ahead and flipped the tips. I wasnt really trying for strong recurves, but I am not used to working on short wood. So it came out a little stronger than what I thought.

After flipping the tips, I decided to go ahead and rough out the handle and cut in the shelf. I know that John doesn't normally shoot with a shelf so I wanted to give him a taste to see if he liked it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:23:26 am by Stringman »

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:22:19 am »
By this point I had scraped her into shape and the tiller was looking pretty close. When the skins arrived I went right to work and got them cut out and layed down. Nothing prettier than a slender girl in tight jeans and this one was startin to stand out!

I knew I was close but there was a piece of the puzzle eluding me... After talking with Cipriano again on a different subject he mentioned a unique piece of mesquite that he had laying around. I asked, and he said "sure!" (what a guy!)

The BB bow has tips...

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 11:42:06 am »
After the knappin that John and I attended last weekend I had him shoot the bow and t a test run. I also took the opportunity to take some "money shot" pics. He seemed pleased and I can't wait to hand it to him as a completed bow (I didnt have the tips on it then.)

Now with the BB bow completed, I have to say I'm pleased with it. The bow is snappy in the hand and light, without any extra weight. i must say that it pushes the limits with it's narrow limbs and recurved tips, but it gave me a new appreciation for well tillered osage wood.

I cant wait to see what JW and Iowabow turn out!

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:44:45 am »
 :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:24:52 pm »
Beautiful bow,very well done,tiller looks good and finish work is very nice also. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:37:01 pm »
great explanation of the process. love the bow too!
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 02:12:12 pm »
Yes Sir Stringman!

Dang Fine looking Bow!

What were Her final specs?
I see that you were shooting for 55-60# @24"...

Thank You for showing her off!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »
The bow is beautiful but did notice one thing in the lay out lines in the first photo. Yo did not follow the lateral grain with your center line. It is usually a good idea to do that especially with osage. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 02:47:01 pm »
mighty fine bow ya made there!
wild women don't get the blues

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 03:15:49 pm »
Yo did not follow the lateral grain with your center line.

I'm curious what you mean by "lateral lines" Obviously, I'm still learning some of the verbage, but I did try hard to follow the grain of the wood when laying out the center line (faintly visible in the first photo.) My first consideration was keeping the small pin knot in the middle so it wouldn't effect the limbs integrity too much.

Did I miss something??  ???

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 03:25:50 pm »

What were Her final specs?
I see that you were shooting for 55-60#

-gus

Gus, I was  thrown when I lost all that width in the lower limb. The final was closer to 45-50# @ 24". A fact that I'm not proud of. I was hopng to get a little closer to his "requested" draw weight. However, it is a good shooter and John was drilling the spots he was looking at. My hope is that is becomes a nice target bow for him.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 03:29:53 pm »
A fine piece of work, Stringman!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 04:42:58 pm »
There's nothing wrong with that Stringman...

Sometimes Wood is like a box of Chocolates...
You just don't know what your getting until you take a bite...

HAHAHA....  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 06:13:43 pm »
Scott builds a fine bow! My first arrow through the bow at 15 yards just drilled the spot and the second was within inch! It pulls so nice and is a great bow to shoot. I really like the tips and it will be my first snake skinned bow. I only hope JW's turns out as nice. Thank you Scott!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!