Author Topic: New adventures of "Little Shorty"  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

New adventures of "Little Shorty"
« on: September 05, 2007, 02:01:28 am »
 I built this little bow early this spring out of necessity, because I couldn't shoot any other bows I had out of my turkey blind that my wife bought me.  The bow ended up being 54" long, and pulls just over 55lbs at 28.  I did shoot a turkey with it this spring but after an exhaustive search, I was unable to find the bird.  Feeling a little bummed about it, I put the bow up and continued shooting my Strunk yew longbow.  Well, a few months ago, I picked the bow back up, and was amazed at how good I was shooting it.  I had some good hunts coming up this year, so thought, what the heck, lets take "Little Shorty" out. 
 Adventure number 1 -- I backpacked about 4 and a half miles into the Holy Cross Wilderness area early Saturday morning for a few days of deer and elk hunting.  I had not actually been in this section before, and was not sure how the hike in was.  Everything about this area is RUGGED!  The hike in consisted of the first 2.8 miles being straight up. I left the truck at 10,000ft and ended up at the pass I crossed over at 12,600ft.  After crossing the pass, it opened up to miles of Colorado high country with not a hunter or hiker in site (and this is Labor Day weekend).   On Sunday, I spotted two mulies feeding in a draw up above timber.   I got a good look at them, and they were both monster bucks! I had the wind right and started my stalk.  When I peeked up over the edge of the draw, the bucks were 50 yards away, and totally unaware.   as the bucks fed away from me, I made a move to get to some cover, and WHAM!! one of the bucks spots me, and they are gone!  I only needed 20-25 yards but it wasn't in the cards that day. Anyways, it was well worth the effort, and that was the first time I've seen deer of that caliber outside of Rocky Mountain National Park, or in a backyard in Boulder, LOL.   Monday morning, I jumped a group of cow elk way down in the dark timber.  One of the larger cows stood broadside looking at me at 25yards.  I slowly got an arrow nocked and started to bring my bow up. The cow just stood there looking at me.  I ended up just watching her for 30 seconds or so before she bust out.  I could have made the shot, but there is no way I could of got her out of there that day and been at work Tuesday morning.  It was probably 6 miles from the trailhead with a 2000ft elevation gain straight up out of there.  If it had been the first day, I wouldn't have hesitated. All in all, 2 real opportunities in 3 days of hunting, well that ain't bad ;)

Adventure number 2 will continue next week.  I have a bighorn ewe tag in Colorado's famed Georgetown area, S-32.  Unfortunately, I couldnt make it for the opener today due to work obligations, but I'm going to be up there from Friday until the season closes on the 19th.  Hopefully, "Little Shorty" will finally get a chance to make meat !!

"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: New adventures of "Little Shorty"
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 05:36:51 am »
Good story and beautiful pictures,that's got to be a blast.Best of luck on your next adventure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

a finnish native

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 06:14:40 am »
it almost makes me cry when you post pics like this. damn you all! >:( ;D nice country btw.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 06:30:59 am »
Wow beautiful country, wide open views diffently inspiring. Sounds like you had a great time. Were you hunting alone?
Hope you get your ewe and if so pictures eh!
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

tradrick

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 09:59:24 am »
Very beautiful country.Makes ya not want to go back to work don't it.Good luck to ya on the next one.tradrick

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 10:55:38 am »
awe inspiring!! good luck!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 04:37:45 pm »
  Beautiful country.I really missed it after moving back to Fl.I used to hunt the Flattops around Glenwood Canyon.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 07:08:52 pm »
The view itself makes it all worth it :)

Tilbilly

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 07:37:46 pm »
Wow, that IS short! Nice scenery, too.

Offline sonny

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 10:00:39 pm »
great pics ! thanks for posting them.

what are the temps out there this time of year ??
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 10:22:53 pm »
I was camping right at 12,000ft.  As soon as the sun went down the temps drop dramatically.  It was in the low to mid 30's at night, but once the sun came up it would get up to the 70's in the middle of the day.  Early mornings are tuff because its freezing when you get up, but by 9 or 10, it'll already be in the 60's or so.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 10:55:37 pm »
I know that where I live in Michigan is beautiful too, but the mountains are awesome to say the least. I love it here in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, but I think I'd like to see the areas in the above pictures before I die.
VB

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 12:31:35 am »
VB, You owe it to yourself to go to the western mountains. My trip to S W Colorado last year was fantastic. We were between 9000' and 10000'. The vistas are incredible but a dark night sky will take your breath away. Something about high altitude and long distance vistas! ;D 8)
 Titan, I was in the San Juan's last year over the Labor Day weekend. We saw very little elk activity but someone told me on my way home that the G&F did an areal survey and found record numbers of elk above 12000". That must be a magic number for the early season.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 01:44:37 pm »
So I returned from my ewe hunt last week, completely exhausted.  I hunted for 11 days straight, and had a lot of stalks, but couldn't seem to get within that 20-25 yard window.  Those sheep are tough to get close to, and when they are in groups of 10 or more, they are almost impossible to stalk within 20 yards.  :)
  Finding sheep in this unit was not a problem, however, finding sheep that were in stalkable areas was almost impossible, LOL.   Due to the high number of tourists in this area, the DOW has imposed a 1/4 mile buffer zone from the roads that you cannot hunt in.  Needless to say, the sheep know this all to well, and sometimes I waited for 6-8 hours for the sheep to move up the mountain to stalkable areas.
  Overall, I got probably close to 20 stalk opportunities, and got within 20 yards of a young ram, and had several ewes at 10 yards, but inside the 1/4 mile buffer zone.  I was able to close into 30-50 yards on most stalks, but never could seem to close that last 10 yards without getting busted.  I learned a ton about sheep hunting, and I am hooked!   I am going to put in for the ewe tag again next year, and with this experience under my belt, I feel confident I can connect!!

Here are some pictures of some of the ewes I was stalking.  As you can see, they knew the roads were a safe zone, LOL.

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 01:48:07 pm »
img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Titan_Bow/Hunting%202007/DSC01779.jpg[/img]