Author Topic: wild rose shoot arrows  (Read 6735 times)

Offline sound maker

wild rose shoot arrows
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:34:40 pm »
 So I got some wild rose shoots to make into arrows and for the last 2 weeks I been bending it a bit a few times but since I'm going to be going on campouts and stuff for the next few weeks I won't have enough time to bend it so I can I just get some rods or poles and just get them around them and use rubberbands to hold it in place and to help them get straight???
  Also those might be nooka rose.
I am not the best but learn from the wise and you'll end up being called he best!
 What one person calls common sense another calls wisdom.

Offline bryan irwin

Re: wild rose shoot arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:03:31 pm »
bundle them together and let them dry then you can work them later.
bryan irwin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:31:36 pm »
Do like Bryan said.    Also, take them along camping. You can work on them sitting around the camp fire in the evenings.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 04:05:41 am »
Not sure if you have used heat yet, but nootka rose takes heat straightening very well.  Campouts are great for this because hot coals provide good even heat.  Just put a few coals in a metal pit, or if the fire allows, just sweep a pile of coals towards the edge of the fire ring...perfect arrow straightening set-up. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 11:47:53 pm »
Do like Bryan said.    Also, take them along camping. You can work on them sitting around the camp fire in the evenings.  ;)

2Thumbs Up on that. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 09:30:39 am »
I gathered a bunch of these in early spring. They are more than dry now but I cant find a spine over maybe 35-40# in the batch, even the fat ones.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 10:30:03 am »
Are you guys picking shoots that are mature enough to make arrows with? If the shoots you cut only had leaves on them and no small twigs then they are first year growth and not appropriate for arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 10:44:14 am »
  Wild rose is on the light side also rose takes longer to season than other shoots. So wait a month longer that you do one others. I season mine for 6 months. I'm sure you can do it in shorter time. But I'm a little slow about everything exspecially bows and arrows.
  Where I see on here where people make their bows in weeks takes me months sometimes. There 's no hurry and hurrying can only bring bad things when it comes to bow's. So if theres no time limit on someones bow
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 10:49:54 am »
 I don't hurry. Besides the more (different times) you look at a bow the more you see what needs to be done. I use'lly have a couple bows going at any given time and just take a look at them everytime I go to my shop. This way you see things you've never seen when building straight through.
  How many times have you looked and used a favoret bow only to say after a while wish I'd did this or did that. Now it a lot of work to go back and fix it the way you want.
  THERE'S NO HURRY SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW DOWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
 Just my way of building bows.

Offline sound maker

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 03:29:38 am »
well I got just back from the campout (no I didn't bring them, needed the room and didn't really have time to do that) and I plan on going slowly, most likely going to bend it some more for the next few weeks then maybe debark some and if they don't check do the others. and yes I did get the ones that were growing things other then flowers and leaves, I know this buc they kept poking me in the face as I was cutting them down.
I am not the best but learn from the wise and you'll end up being called he best!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 05:11:33 pm »
I've got rose shoots that I cut 12 years ago,still got the thorns on them.I've got shoots I cut last week,just keep cutting and drying.The older they are,the better a shaft they make has been my experience.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:43:20 am »
Sound maker when you go to debark the shoots leave and inch or two of bark on each end.  This will help prevent checking
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline sound maker

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 10:16:42 pm »
I plan on to do that cherokeeKC. I was reading up on this for awhile before I got it and just wanted to get get some more tips so I don't do anything bad.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 10:01:14 am »
  I never debark untill seasoned this ilimitates checking.

Offline randman

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 03:52:27 pm »
Soundmaker, I use a small alcohol lamp and roll the area to be straightened back and forth through the flame to heat, then bend to straighten. A candle or a can of sterno would work also. It doesn't take much heat and a heat gun is way too noisy. Gotta be careful with the alcohol lamp though. They have a sorta rounded bottom on them and If it tips over and the alcohol leaks out while it's lit, it'll go up in flames (don't ask how I know)
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.