Author Topic: Horse bow, photo shoot building and advice  (Read 2210 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Horse bow, photo shoot building and advice
« on: June 14, 2012, 01:15:53 am »
I am a photographer and love building bows.  So last summer I started combining these two passions in a Primitive Archry series for potential gallery exhibits.  So, I need help and advice on building a horse bow and how to pose the model for the shoot.

I plan to use osage, I know it's not very authentic, but it's bendable properties will probably give me the best chance of success.  This only needs to be a 20 or 25 pound bow.  Otherwise, the model will not be able to draw it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have searched horse bows. This is what I've come up with so far.  Short 48" or so. Reset handle, r/d design.  The belly looks to be rounded.

Photo style techniques. Shot from the chest with a pinch string draw.  Bow canted quite a bit.  Shor draw less than 24"
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Parnell

Re: Horse bow, photo shoot building and advice
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 01:20:24 am »
Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows & Quivers - Volume 2.  Allely & Hamm.

Good luck and have fun.
1’—>1’

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 01:58:19 am »
Thanks Parnell.  I'll try to find it.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 03:00:56 am »
There are lots of variations on horse bows out there.  Plains Indians of NA, or asiatic style would be the two main groups, I would think.  Are you thinking of osage with sinew?  horn belly?  I would say the light target weight will help you succeed.  Good luck!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 03:55:11 am »
CMB, I am looking for Plains Indian, not horn bow, but osage.  I'll really like to finish this up in the next 2 to 3 weeks  So sinew is not the best option do to lack of curing time.  I could put it in the hot box, though.  Take in mind the model will probably only be drawing the bow 18 to 22 inches.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 04:32:35 am »
Get a model who has some muscle tone. Elbow tendons like steel cables, pulling a 40# recurve while on horseback. I would beat puppies for such a woman, and I loves me some puppies.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:08:02 am »
If you're crunched on time, the bit of time it takes to cure sinew may hinder your deadline.  If you do an all wood (osage) bow and since you mentioned 48" draw, I would make it a bend-in-the-handle design.  It doesn't necessarily have to be a r/d design. 

At 48, you should be able to draw it 24", if properly tillered.  A 24" drawlength is plenty for a horse bow.  If you're only seeking 20-25 lbs, start out about an inch wide and after about mid-limb, taper out to the tips as narrow as you are comfortable with.  Good Luck!   ;)
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI