Author Topic: Intro, Black Locust Scalloped Bow  (Read 7332 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Intro, Black Locust Scalloped Bow
« on: June 17, 2012, 07:20:10 pm »
Time for me to introduce myself, been lurking here a few years and really enjoy seeing all the great bows. My lack of computer skills have only allowed me to log in and view to this point, wife helping me today so hopefully this post will work. I've been making selfbows and hunting with them for about 14 yrs. now, yes Im an addict. I want to post a bow today to share with you guys that have shown me all your wonderful works since I discovered this site. This is a great website with a lot of friendly and helpful members. If my photos work I have other bows that I would like to post in the near future.  Now the bow;                                                                                                                             Black Locust, belly split from 12 yr. seasoned stave, side profile is natural dips, dives, etc. no heat corrections. Bow took about 3/4" set in tillering, pretty dense bl I believe. Tiller not perfect (mine never are thats why I choose the user name 'Badly Bent') . 54# @ 25" with double scallops on sides. Some thump in the hand when shooting but cast is good with a heavy hunting arrow and there are no chrysals on the belly even after one year of hard use. This one spent many days with me in the deer woods last season. Hope you enjoy seeing it. Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline dmc

Re: Intro, Black Locust Scalloped Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 07:28:44 pm »
Beautiful bow. Really like how you brought out the characteristics of the wood. Thanks for the pics, and welcome to this forum. These guys and gals are great, and free with great advice.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 07:30:50 pm »
very nice bow!!!  Welcome to the family.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline SA

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 07:47:48 pm »
nice bow , i don't see anything wrong w/the tiller looks pretty good to me.
Shawn Acker

Offline randman

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 07:49:45 pm »
Welcome fellow addict! And I don't see nothing wrong with the bend on that bad boy either! Nice work. The proof is in the using and if you've been using that for a year it's proved itself. Did it make meat for you?
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 08:08:48 pm »
welcome and nice bow. Very much my style of bow

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 08:16:02 pm »
nice bow-glad to have ya here
show us more!!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 08:25:33 pm »
  I have never made one from BL.  I understand that it is hard to make one that doesn't chrysal unless the tiller is near perfect.  From the photos, it appears as though you nailed it!  I, like you, prefer to leave the bends, dips, twists and other "challenges" in the bows I make.  Great looking bow!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 08:42:19 pm »
Really nice bend on that one, Greg. Welcome!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 08:45:00 pm »
I REALLY like those scalloped sides. I've been wanting to try my hand at it, but Im too terrified of the failure that would most assuredly ensue. Beautiful work.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 08:51:49 pm »
Sweeeeeeet....welcome to PA......i love black locust..ive made several bows from it and never had frets or issues,and it has excellent cast in it

Offline Will H

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 08:59:47 pm »
Welcome to PA! Awesome work on that bow! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work! Very well done :) :) :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 09:06:28 pm »
Welcome and it looks like ya nailed it to me. That's a beautiful bow I really like the scallops. It's amazing how many talented bowyers are on here and more keep joining! Welcome aboard looking forward to seeing more.

Offline half eye

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 09:17:33 pm »
Hey Badly.....first off welcome, second ya need to change yer handle, that baby is a "workin circle" if I ever seen one. Ya didn't say but looks to be in the 50 inch range somewheres.....outstanding little bow.   Made a "few" of them and kill my deer with 'em, ya done real good there.
rich

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 11:01:28 pm »
Welcome sir! The only way I would see that bow as 'bad' is if I were down range from you wearing fur and antlers!  Very nice work!  Josh