Author Topic: Using power tools?  (Read 7086 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Using power tools?
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:12:30 am »
I have always tried to use hand tools; axe,hatchet,draw knife, files, etc...to make a bow. Sometimes a chain saw to drop a larger tree, but otherwise hand tools.
Yesterday I was trying to use a draw knife on a seasoned dogwood stave. That thing is like iron, so I got out a circular saw and did a close profile of what I wanted. I always imagine everyone using only hand tools, but I am thinking now, most are using power tools to cut and shape their bows. It does make the task easier, but it's also easier to go to far quickly.

What type of tools or the best tools to shape a bow to beginning tiller that you use?

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Using power tools?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:14:06 am »
Besides a chainsaw to drop the tree, the only power tool I use is a bandsaw.  I cut the bows profile out and then cut the thickness out.  I used to use a belt sander to thin and shape the limbs.  I started using the ferriors rasp instead and my bows have gotten a lot better.

And I use a palm sander to sand most of the bow.  I hate sanding.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:16:45 am »
I shape my bows with the bandsaw. Then scrape saw marks off with a scraper. Gary Davis has a great video on setting up for tiller with bandsaw and file. This video is great for beginners. Also if you can make it to the Tn classic, watching those boys rough out a bow close to tiller is impressive. They have a way of cutting that prevents accidentally removing too much wood. Gary also explains this in his video. I am a beginner and can tell you that these are two great resources
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:40:03 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:19:05 am »
Don't you mean  Gary Davis?  He has the rattlestick video
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:43:26 am »
I made the first few bows with hand tools (except for an orbital sander) but the pressure on my joints was hindering my shooting. I bought a used craftman bandsaw to pacify my bones and never looked back :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 12:28:31 pm »
I use a bandsaw to reduce material and cut out the bow shape and a belt/disc sander sometimes to shape the tips. Everything else is done with hand tools. Using power tools early on in the process is pretty safe if you are but getting near the end it doesn't take but one wrong move to ruin a bow before you know it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 01:36:17 pm »

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I really enjoyed sanding my first bow, but since then I absolutely loath the task. At that point I just really want to finish that bow up and continue to shoot it in.

I use a bandsaw to rough out my bows, and each time I start a new bow I get a little more brave with it. I've been rather timid with it in the past and I havn't removed as much as I could. This creates a lot more work for the drawknife and spokeshave later but better safe than sorry. Experience is starting to make me more comfortable with it now.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 03:21:00 pm »
I have never used a power tool once in any part of making a bow. Handsaw-ed every single tree down. Even the 17" diameter / 34" radius osage trees. Shaped everyone with a hatchet/butcher knife/farriers rasp. For that matter, I have never used a drawknife either. Or a scraper.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 03:25:40 pm »
I have never used a power tool once in any part of making a bow. Handsaw-ed every single tree down. Even the 17" diameter / 34" radius osage trees. Shaped everyone with a hatchet/butcher knife/farriers rasp. For that matter, I have never used a drawknife either. Or a scraper.
I really repect that!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 03:27:06 pm »

I need one of those. I hate sanding too! Is it easy to nick the bow with it, do you have to be really careful with it or is it easy to use? As long as I can use it to get past 150 grit I'm good and can sand the rest by hand...

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 03:30:46 pm »
I really repect that!

No need for your respect, I'm just poor.  ;D I would love to have a bandsaw. Thing about using a chainsaw for cutting trees, is that then the landowner can hear you tree-napping his osage! (j/k,  ;D).

Offline SA

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 04:02:40 pm »
i use a table saw to rough mine out then its drawknife, ferrier rasp, and palm sander. i probably should invest in some type of scraper though.
Shawn Acker

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 04:16:10 pm »
I am useless with power tools and always end up ruining the stave so I gave up an age ago. The only power tool i tend to use is a disc sander to add tip overlays if the bow wants them, much easier to get a flat mating surface.

Would like to use them more but i fear my fingers and the stave might suffer so axe to drawknife to scraper. Still on the lookout for a good rasp although not found one i like yet.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 04:23:06 pm »
I use whatever works best.  I used to use a band saw to rough out bows, but I'm faster now with the draw knife, and I make better bows.  I do use the band saw to shorten staves, cut splices and tip overlays.  Where I use power the most now is in tillering.  My favorite tool is the oscillating spindle sander; probably 90% of my tillering and shaping is done there.  I absolutely cannot stand using a rasp.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 04:58:21 pm »
I have a bandsaw but seldom use it to rough out a bow. I'm faster with a sharp hatchet. I also use a draw knife, rasp and several small rasps and files for the nocks. A scraper for fine tillerering and removing rasp marks. I also use a 4" belt sander and 12" disk sander to reduce and clean up the wood after roughing in. Oh yea, the palm sander is nice along with the heat gun. 
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?