Author Topic: Help! Recurve bow process?  (Read 14543 times)

Offline SirTony

Help! Recurve bow process?
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:27:04 am »
Hello everyone, I'm new to both bow building and PrimitiveArcher so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some Recurve bow plans? (I'm a total newbie but I wouldn't like anything simple)  ;)

The bow I want to make is for a 15 year old 66'' tall (It's more of a Youth Recurve Bow)

What I'm trying to learning is:

-How to make a recurve bow jig (Any type of recurve)

-Selecting wood combinations

-How to cut the wood

-How to glue the wood together

-(Plans, blueprints, etc) of how to make the recurve bow (Limbs, grip, nocks, etc)

-Other ways of heating the bow other than using a heat box

-How to make an arrow shelf

- Pretty much EVERYTHING in a detailed way because I cant be more newbier haha...

If you can, please take photos so I you can guide me thru the process

I know I'm asking a lot but I know there will be some kind gentlemen that will help this poor guy make a bow for his son  :-[

Thank you all in advance

Tony

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Help! Recurve bow process?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 05:38:14 am »
So you are basically asking: "How do I build a recurve?" Wow, that's a lot to ask. Where can we start? I would advice you to start reading. Not just jump in, but read every tutorial and build along you can find. What have you done so far? Any experience in wood working? Did you read any books? You would be really helped by reading the Traditional Bowyers Bible vol. 1. And then read it again. This book is ab-so-lu-te-ly obligatory to read for every self respecting bowyer, in my opinion.

Here are some tutorials for you to start with:
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6220/How-To-Build-And-Use-A-Simple-Caul
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/14560/How-I-Steambend-Now-With-Photos
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/17343/Establishing--Stave-Curriculum--Approach--Turning--Stave---B
http://poorfolkbows.com/oak.htm
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/47638/Tim-Baker-s---Wooden-Bow-Reposted--Tim-s-Permission
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001830;p=1#000000

You cannot expect us to explain every single step of the process in detail, simply because that would fill the entire internet. Start reading so the basics become clear to you. Then start asking specific questions of things you didn't understand.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:57:45 am »
Tony,

Are you wanting to build a laminated recurve that has glass on both outer limb surfaces?  If so, this probably isn't the right place to have the conversation as it isn't a primitive bow in any stretch.  Having said that, I used to to build glass bows like that before I started building primitive bows.  In all honesty, if I were you I'd build a simple hickory flatbow with recurved tips for your son.  No form is required, only a caul and a heat gun to bend the tips.  There's no hotbox needed to cure the glue-up.  You can look at examples and make his handle any way you like. 

After all that, if what your really want is to build a form and glue up a laminated recurve, google for bingham projects and they will have everything you need.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:51:43 am »
Like George said!
After 40 odd years in engineering and making bows my watchword is Simplictity.
If you are new to this you are bound to make a mistake somewhere along the line, with a simple self wooden bow you can start agian witht being too demotivated. If you try to make a fancy laminated recurve, a screwup late in the process could put you off it for life.
I know a Dad doesn't like to fail in front of his son, so keep it simple, maybe your son will want to have a go too.
Del
PS, don't worry about performance, there is a great buzz about shooting a bow you've made yourself even if your first comes in under weight.
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline SirTony

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 04:41:54 pm »
DarkSoul, thank you for the links, I'll check them out right now :)

gstone and Del, no, if what I read is right, making a laminated recurve is quite impossible for a beginner lol. What Im trying to
make is an all wood recurve, no glass.

Also about the self wood bow, thanks for the idea Del but I really want to make a fancy (all wood) bow, doesnt matter if I fail at it, by failing you gain experience and I would really like to see the face of my son when I tell him I made a fancy bow for him  :D

PS: What is a caul? So I dont really need a jig to make a recurve? whats better a caul or a jig?

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 05:04:32 pm »
You'd be surprised how elegant and "fancy" a simple self-bow can look when its all finished up. I would not recommend starting with a recurve bow. I'm not saying that you can't do it, because it is possible, but its a relatively advanced technique for a beginner. I know because I tried and failed several times before I finally got it mostly right. 

I really think you will have a more rewarding experience starting out with a simple self-bow, but if you are really determined on going the recurved route, then do a search on this forum, and read everything you can find before you start.

Offline SirTony

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 05:34:56 pm »
Slack, Im really determined to make the recurve but I've tried to look everywhere for nice plans for a noob, none to be seen.

You said you got one mostly right, could you please share the steps in a detailed way? (Photos if possible) I would really appreciate it! Thank you

Offline Nifty

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 05:40:22 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23532.0.html

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30667.0.html

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31738.0.html

Check these 3 threads. All three are very detailed with tons of pictures and meticulous descriptions of techniques. Gordon's yew bow and Pearl Drums' hackberry are both sinew backed bows, but the process to make an unbacked bow should be the same.

As most anyone else here has more experience than I do, I will repeat their sage advice: "go slow, and post lots of pictures!"

Best of luck  :)
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 05:42:46 pm »
gstone and Del, no, if what I read is right, making a laminated recurve is quite impossible for a beginner lol. What Im trying to make is an all wood recurve, no glass.

That is absolutely not true.  Making a glass laminated bow is much easier than making a self bow.  You basically follow a recipe of what lamination thicknesses to put together go get a desired weight.  The challenge comes if you decide to design your own limb shape, which is determined by the mold.  You can still fail, but unless you botch the glue-up you are going to get a bow.  Because a mold and a hot-box are required, there's more upfront work building that type of bow.

PS: What is a caul? So I dont really need a jig to make a recurve? whats better a caul or a jig?

For the sake of this discussion, there's not much difference.  I think of a jig as a tool to assist in assembly.  A mold is a specialized jig used to force glued-up laminations into a specific shape in a laminated bow.   A caul is a specialized jig that helps make consistent heat bends (in my case for recurving the tips of a bow).  I've not seen a mold used to laminate all-wood bows though I'm sure it'd work.  Where I have seen jigs (basically blocks of wood) is to induce reflex and deflex into laminated longbows.  Again, taking thin laminations and gluing them up against a mold (even without fiberglass) is not going to be typically referred to as a primitive bow and you probably won't find much information on this board about it.

Having said all that, I agree completely with Slackbunny and Del.  There are stunning self bows with recurved tips built and shown around here every month that rival anything you could buy anywhere.  And, I would submit that what will make the bow special is that you made it for him and shot with him, not that it's a stunning example of woodcraft.  I can certainly say that's been the case in my life.  In fact, the bows I'm building with my granddaughters are gonna special forever no matter what they look like.  A lot of that will be because they are running some of the tools.

Good luck with whatever you decide to build.
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 06:45:46 pm »
If your heart is set on a recurve, then build a simple straight bow, make it an extra few inches longer then put in the recurve when it's almost finished.
Use dry heat or steam and bend the wood onto a curved former which can be anything from a log with a couple of nails in it to a a fancy jig with clamps.
Learn the necessary skills one at a time. By building a near finished bow first, you won't be wasting time and effort on the bending until you have got the basics right.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 08:34:02 pm »
Del
Thats some great advice,  I didn't understand it until I had 5 or 6 simple bow undr my belt.
DB
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking