Author Topic: Huntin arrow preferences  (Read 5267 times)

Offline AJMag

Huntin arrow preferences
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:00:28 pm »
I was looking for any topics that centered around peoples preferences for hunting arrows, but didn't really find much. If anyone knows of any, please share.

What I was wondering is what you guys use for hunters and how you like to set them up, i.e., wood vs cane/bamboo, stone or primitive vs broadheads, etc. 

I'm working on some boo arrows to set up for hunting season and it sparked a curious interest in others' set-ups. I may also be fishing for ideas, since I'm not yet decided on a final set-up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Huntin arrow preferences
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 01:11:43 am »
I use all sorts of shafting, cane, hardwood shoots, POC, Doug fir, ash dowels, all sorts. I hunt with my every day arrows. I don't want any change between my arrows for hunting and target. I use commercial broadheads, stone heads or trade points for hunting. Whatever shoots best from the bow I will be hunting with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 08:33:18 am »
I do about like Pat,most everything except,alumna/carbon and screw in heads.
I prefer shoot shafts and trade points if they fly out of the bow I am shooting at the time. :) :) I like Cain also but sometimes have trouble getting the consistent   flight I want in a hunting head.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 02:55:51 pm »
I just go about mounting broadheads on my arrows and the top 4 best fliers go in the hunting quiver. I used to shoot different woodies, but there's less and less wood, and more and more cane in my arsenal.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 12:09:12 am »
My choice in hunting arrows is pretty straightforward.....bloody!   >:D

I'm leaning toward heavier arrows and hardwoods do that for me.  I am shooting ash, 5" turkey fletch, and this fall I will be trying some Tusker single bevel broadheads. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline AJMag

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 12:22:09 am »
My choice in hunting arrows is pretty straightforward.....bloody!   >:D

Why didn't I think of that...?

So far I'm really liking the boo arrows I've been making. Some seem to shoot way better than the only set of POC I have. Since I finished my last bow I've spent just about every night making more and implying lessons I'm learning already on where to improve.  I'm slowly working on some from a poplar board for variety, but at the moment I'm thinking I may just work on my proficiency with the boo in preparation for archery season here soon. Time's ticking down fast and I haven't even really started scouting much yet. But I do have that issue of needing to get some broadheads on the ends and verify those. So much to do, so little time.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 05:21:01 am »
I use ocean spray shoots with Zwickey Eskimo broadheads
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline AJMag

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 02:46:19 pm »
I've seen you reference that wood a bit lately, and possible somewhere else. It intrigues me cause I've never heard of it. The closest thing we got to ocean spray down here is hurricanes and cranberry juice.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 03:30:59 pm »
I was using osoberry shoots but they where a little too heavy for my liking.
Clatskanie, Oregon

FAW

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 11:23:27 am »
Nothing but wood and cane in my arsenal - the switch to bamboo now seems to take over, although I am finding some weird little quirks with this material. They seem to want to be longer to get good flight until I put a broadhead on which just seems to go the opposite way that my "woodies" usually shoot. Basically I will shoot the most consistent group of broadhead equipped arrows, whether, cane or wood. 

Offline lowell

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 05:14:49 pm »
I have been using cedar, rose shoots and cane.  What ever flys the best is what I use for hunting.  Some of the best have been from rose.  But it may take making a bunch to get a couple great arrows.  I'm making 8 rose arrows now and if I get 2 or 3 good shooters I'll be happy!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 09:43:34 pm »
 I've maded ,shot,hunted with dozens and dozens or BOO,CAIN, HAZZEL,WILD ROSE,DOG WOOD AND MANY others as well as any kind of dowel shafting I could get.
  I've shot shoot arrows for a dozzen or more years and DOG WOOD came to be my favorite. Can't get any tuffer or harder,heavy but not too heavy like HICKORY or some others.
  I've heard good things (IT DOS'NT GROW LOCAL) about sour wood but it must be something mystile about if because I've tryed a dozzen times to get a few shoots. WITH NO LUCK
     I shot zwickey's for 15 or so years. CAN'T FIND ONE BAD THING TO SAY ABOUT THEM. I started makeing my own trades a dozzen years ago. I can't see any reason to change. Trade points just go with shoot arrows. CAN'T SEE PUTING ON A GLUE ON OR A GLUE ON NOCK. JUST DO'NT FIT.
   I use HOWARD HILLS formura 3 x 1 out of 1/8", 1095 old saw mill blades. Along the way I've user knapped heads when ever the itch hits me. I killed 5 bucks and 3 gobblers and umteen ground hogs with knapped heads.
  There's just something about makeing your hunting equiment. But I guess you all know that already.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 11:07:50 pm »
I preffer tight grain old growth doug fir shafts they are heavy and very strong!

As Far as point I use a 2 blade as sharp as I can get it!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline anasazi

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 01:16:32 am »
Has any one ever tried using nettle shafts. Or had any luck using feathers other than the primary feathers?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 01:27:06 am »
I have often used secondaries from the wings of turkeys, even canada geese.  Leave them a bit taller.

Secondaries and even tail feathers work just fine.  But they are softer and will wear out faster.  But then I lose 'em faster than they wear out, so it's no big deal to me!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.