Author Topic: willow sapling shafts?  (Read 10033 times)

Offline iowabow

willow sapling shafts?
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:24:32 pm »
I cut a bunch of willow and was  wondering if anyone has made arrows from them?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: willow sapling shafts?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:33:38 pm »
John, the ones I cut a few years ago came out thick and light in spine and physical weight. I believe some NA tribes used willow for arrows. Maybe short arrows for short draw would be the ticket.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:06:49 am »
Pat thats what I was wondering. Mine  spine at about 43# and about 400g at 28.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:23:03 am »
Thats way better than I got, John. Mine looked like telephone poles but were flimsy.  ;D
  Quite a few Plains and Western NA arrows were made from "red willow". I wonder if that wasn't red osier dogwood and not a true willow. Although a willow from a relativly arid part of the country could be quite different than one from the humid South.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:02:41 am »
I've got some desert willow growing in my yard and there are a few suckers that are just right for arrows.  I need to go harvest those and try them out.  I was also under the impression that they were too weak... but maybe not.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:23:58 am »
I tried some willow once, and failed miserably.  Eventually I took all the shafts and started making a bundle bow.  Eventually the grip of the bow was as big around as a Foster's beer can and the bow had only about 15 lbs of draw weight. 

They went for tomato stakes and failed at that as well.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:39:24 pm »
i often use what folks around here call willow or red willow but it is actually red osier and it makes fine arrows espesialy for the short draw indian style bows
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 10:17:24 pm »
 PATS RIGHT
  I cut some a few years back bundled and seasoned and they were way to light a spine. Maybe a kids bow 20#'s. I did'nt even try mine.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 03:46:37 am »
I've got some desert willow growing in my yard and there are a few suckers that are just right for arrows.  I need to go harvest those and try them out.  I was also under the impression that they were too weak... but maybe not.

Desert willow bark is very tough and difficult to remove once dry.  It does not need to be.  My last set of atlatl darts were made that way.  Fine, tough heavy arrows.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 09:19:57 am »
After drying these in the driveway under the 100 degree heat I have some info. The spine is about  30# and 3/8 or larger and 380g so i am going to set them aside for kid bows. I have found a tree that grows very straight when under pressure for light. It is more dense at a smaller diameter. I am going to do an identification this morning on it. It is 1/4 to 11/32 in DIA & spines at 47# and is 550g. It is not cured out all the way but is very promising

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 09:36:26 am »
Here is a  comparison. The left is unidentified the right is willow. The left is more heavily spined and is smaller in dia.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 11:12:08 am »
John, that is about the same results I got with willow.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 03:00:34 pm »
John did you try those honeysuckle shafts from Gun Doc yet?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 03:29:12 pm »
He probably would have if I had left them there.  I didn't realize there was an interest in them or I would have. :-[  I have a bunch of em, so when John gets back home I'll drop some off.  Josh

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 09:05:09 pm »
Gun Doc can you get 50 to 60 spine out of those honeysuckle?I've got some growing down near a wash.I used to make sling shots out of them when I was a kid.OOOpps guess I better check my words better I'm still a kid at heart.LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed