Author Topic: Suggestions for splitting a curved log?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline 1rik

Suggestions for splitting a curved log?
« on: July 11, 2012, 02:57:38 pm »
Hi,

I'm in the process of shaping a stave out of a log of english oak (Quercus robur) for my first bow. (the straight one in the photo)
And I have a second log wich is curved. I would love to try make a bow out of it, but I don't really know if it would make a bow and how to split the log to get the best piece out of it.
So I was hoping some of you might have an idea on how how to split it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:20:18 pm by 1rik »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Suggestions for splitting a curved log
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 03:02:13 pm »
Try to pick a point where the split will make sure that the belly sides of the split are the flattest.  That way as much of the character will be side to side and you will have less to worry about in heat treating to take out excess recurve and decurve.

If there is a bow in that crazy log, and I don't doubt there is, it's gonna look wild!  Good luck. And of course....post pics!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Suggestions for splitting a curved log?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:33:45 pm »
I let 2 things help me choose how to split a log...knots and going for the least about of side to side heat bending.  I try to split staves so it puts a minimum of knots in the working part of the limbs.  Other than that I try to get staves that have tips that line up with the handle, especially in a snaky stave.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
Re: Suggestions for splitting a curved log?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:54:15 pm »
The bow or two you get out of that log are going to look crazy good if you take your time with them. Just don't rush it, whatever you do.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.