Author Topic: Any way to increase point weight?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Any way to increase point weight?
« on: July 14, 2012, 03:10:19 pm »
Hey Everyone,

I have a set of wood arrows that I finished with 5/16" O/D. I have 125 grain points on them right now, but I really need 160 grains or so. Since they don't sell points of this weight in a 5/16" size, is there any way to increase my point weight? Let me know.

Jon

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Any way to increase point weight?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 03:15:32 pm »
Jon, before tapering the point end you can drill down the center of the shaft a couple of inches and insert 45 grains of metal. like a nail. I purchased a tool for that purpose a couple years ago. I don't use it much anymore because I haven't needed the extra weight up front.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:35:02 pm »
Pappy just posted a pic of adding a nail to the front of an arrow by drilling into the shaft. It is posted on "Life is Good".
  You could also wrap wire around the shaft behind the head. If you are using glue on heads you can melt lead into the mounting hole of the head.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 05:10:59 pm »
I've done the same with cane arrows and cane is very easy!!!  I used an 1/8: brass rod cut to be the wieght I needed.
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!