Author Topic: Is this true: "A bow full drawn is 7/8 broken." ?   (Read 8552 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Is this true: "A bow full drawn is 7/8 broken." ? 
« on: July 15, 2012, 04:43:29 pm »
I heard a quote today and wanted to ask the experts. I also found this article on the subject.

"A bow full drawn is seven-eighths broken," said old Thomas Waring, the English bowmaker, and he was right. Draw your bow three inches more than the standard cloth yard of twenty-eight inches and you break it. It is more accurate to say that a full drawn bow is nine-tenths broken.

It is also essential that the bow be stiff in the handle so that it will be rigid in shooting and not jar or kick, which one weak at this point invariably does.

A bow should be light at the tips, say the last eight inches, which is accomplished by rounding the back slightly and reducing the width at this point. This gives an active recoil, or as it is described, "whip ended." This can be overdone, especially in hunting-bows, where a little more solidity and safety are preferable to a brilliant cast.

http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/pope/hunting-with-bow-and-arrow/chapter05_2.html

Thanks,
Cipriano

I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bow101

Re: Is this true: "A bow full drawn is 7/8 broken." ? 
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:59:40 pm »
Thanks for the info, makes so much sense :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:52:31 pm »
This will make for some good reading at work. Thanks.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:07:52 pm »
No,.It's a generalization that's passed around based on the fact that stressing materials close to the max delivers the best efficiency but testing bows to breakage shows that bows usually break well beyond the 3 inches past full draw mark if well tillered.
 Manny showed some tillering tree test breaks of a repaired bow or two and  he had them out to 40 inches of draw or something ridiculous like that.

Offline AJMag

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 08:21:02 pm »
If I built the bow, it's probably true...  8)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 08:58:48 pm »
"Manny showed some tillering tree test breaks of a repaired bow or two and  he had them out to 40 inches of draw or something ridiculous like that."

I've had the same results. Different woods have different tension strengths. The hardest bow to break for me has been a well tillered hackberry bow. Of any ntn length, draw weight, or draw length really. They just won't break on a tree. They will gain alot of set if over drawn, but they almost will never break on a tree. A well tiller osage bow will break before a well tillered hackberry bow, and that is a fact, if anyone wants to call buff on me then try it out for yourself, and tell me how many pieces of the osage bow ya got left.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 12:41:49 am »
My interpretation of the addage was that" if tillered to get maximum potential out of any given piece of wood, with a margin of safety  (1/8)your finished bow is  as close to being broken as it can be." I don't think there is any scientific basis to this comment ,rather a statement to make you strive for perfection.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 01:33:38 am »
"A bow fully drawn is 9/10th broken" refers to the full draw being no more than 1/2 the bow length. At that point much more draw will break a bow(selfbow).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 03:23:27 am »
I say ya don't know till ya got a broken bow. I had one that was 8/8 broken at full draw! Lol

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 04:42:13 am »
It's not a serious quantitative statement.
It's just to make people think (especially non bowyers) by deliberately making a seemingly nonsensical statement, (for partly comic effect) to illustrate a serious point.
There is probably some fancy name for it but I can't find it :(.
Closest I can come up with is 'Oxymoron' which uses two contradictory words together like in 'Parting is such sweet sorrow'.
Statements like this are fine untill you meet some pedantic guy who want's an argument >:(.
Del
(Hmmm sorry if that got a bit fussy, but I quite like that stuff :-[ )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 06:16:50 am »
My interpretation of the addage was that" if tillered to get maximum potential out of any given piece of wood, with a margin of safety  (1/8)your finished bow is  as close to being broken as it can be." I don't think there is any scientific basis to this comment ,rather a statement to make you strive for perfection.
Yup

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 07:19:03 am »
Hmmm 7/8th broken...
So that's like Microsoft software then? >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 07:54:02 am »
I say ya don't know till ya got a broken bow. I had one that was 8/8 broken at full draw! Lol

That made me laugh.  ;D

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 10:09:24 am »

That made me laugh.  ;D

LOL funny, but also true.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 10:22:04 am »
Jim Hamm made a similar statement in one of his books TBBs or Bows/Arrows of Native Americans.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956