Author Topic: snake skin ??  (Read 3014 times)

Offline DRon knife

snake skin ??
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:16:11 pm »
Howdy! A friend killed a nice rattler and asked me if I knew how long he should leave it stretched and salted for? I didn't know so I thought I would ask the pros? Any help would be greatly appreciated,being that I will be the recipient when done ;D Thanx,Ron

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: snake skin ??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:19:07 pm »
As thin as they are, a day or two will usually do the trick. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:25:48 pm »
Ive never used salt either. Just tack em down (flesh side up,) and they will be dry in no time.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:32:04 pm »
Like they said no salt. As hot as it is a couple of hours should do it.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:34:34 pm »
I like to leave mine tacked down for a week or two just to make sure they are good and dry even though they seem dry after the first day.  I don't use salt either.

You should have your friend put the carcass somewhere the bugs can clean it for him.  The vertebrae make a cool looking necklace.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 01:57:33 am »
The salt will attract moisture to the skin wich can cause it to rot. He should rinse all the salt from the skin and re-stretch the skin to dry. What is your friend gonna use the skin for?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 10:28:16 am »
If you feel the need to put something on it, 20 Mule Team Borax is your best bet. Then brush it off into a tub and it can be reused...atleast that's what I do.  ;) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:48:25 am »
I never salt them. Just tack them down at the head and move toward the tail, scraping any membrane or flesh off as I go with a spoon. When done tacking, it is clean,and only takes a couple hours in the sun to dry. Untack and roll it up and hold the roll with a rubber band. I have a gallon zip lock bag that I put them in for storing.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:11:17 am »
Nix on borax as well.  I get skins in from friends every now and then, I have found you can't always tell if a skin has been salted or boraxed. Bottom line, they just won't stick on a bows back if they have been treated.

Last time I encountered treated skins, I was deep into gluing a set on the back of a bow and noticed things weren't going right. I removed the skins, washed the glue off the back of the bow and headed to the laundry sink with the skins. I washed the skins and washed and then washed them some more. I washed the skins for at least a half hour.

My next attempt at backing a bow with them went just fine.

I later found out the skins had been salted, I couldn't tell it from looking at them.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 01:52:07 pm »
Nix on borax as well. Bottom line, they just won't stick on a bows back if they have been treated.

I'd say you're right on w/ that Eric.  I haven't backed a bow w/ snake, I tanned one and made a headband and the other my wife sewed to some felt and we display it.  I don't kill snakes unless they are poisonous and near my house.  The head band is copper head the other is rattler.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 05:18:26 pm »
ok guys great!! I now have one side of a nice bow,it may just make a pair if I have a matching skin somewhere.Thanks a bunch! Ron :)