Author Topic: tiller :(  (Read 1834 times)

Offline TacticalFate

tiller :(
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:30:39 pm »
So, its a white ash flatbow, 60" NTN. The stave had natrual reflexed tips, which are mostly gone now. I realize the mid-outer limbs are not bending much, but its already so thin I can't really work the belly anymore. When I first made it a few months ago at a weekend bow workshop, one of the guys running the 'shop told me that I should't take off more wood from the sides (when the profile was finalized). The draw pic is probably about 24". Not really caring about drawweight anymore, just want a decent tiller :P

So, can I take off wood from the sides on the mid-outer limbs? The last 10 inches on both sides are very stiff due to the stave's original reflex

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: tiller :(
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:57:56 pm »
to tell you the truth, unless im missing something, you could take wood off the sides, but the tiller isnt that bad, looks like a slight hinge on the top limb, but the bottom looks good to me
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:28:09 pm »
I believe you can take wood from the sides the last third to the tips and be fine.

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 12:47:02 am »
How much is it pulling now? what weight?
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 01:44:07 am »
currently exactly 30# at 24"

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 03:41:46 am »
you could mess with narrowing the tips, don't look that bad to me, shoot it and start a new one, that's what i'd do, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:22:41 am »
You are suffering from tiller fatigue ;D.
If you really want to fiddle with it you can narrow the last 1/3 or last 1/4 on an even taper to the nock where you can take it right down narrow by removing the shoulders that the string is sitting on.
Then you glue an overlay (a scrap of Ash will do, or horn) onto the bacl of the tip and file your string groove into that.
It will change the tiller a bit and loosing the mass may gain a hint of of speed (or at least avoid loosing too much)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 09:17:04 am »
currently exactly 30# at 24"

Looking pretty good Tac! Yes, upper limb looks to have a slight hinge. You could use a scraper and narrow the limb width a little, but not critical. On the belly of whitewood I try to keep the growth rings centered through the whole bow, but not critical. Feather out the hinge and call it done. Good job!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 01:47:50 pm »
Yes, you can narrow if you feel the wood os getting too thin. Tiller looks pretty good. You can get an inch or 2 by removing wood from the mid limb to nocks. Looks like you are close to your full draw. That's good because you stave is too  short for 28 in.
My site has info. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!