Author Topic: Dovetail- stemmed?  (Read 1419 times)

Offline TRACY

Dovetail- stemmed?
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:34:43 am »
I flattened out a curved waste flake and decided on a dovetail. It seemed to all go well until the notching and I ended with two pretty unmatched/uneven corner notches. I always chuckle when I do corner notches because I think of Waldorf's book and how he says corner notches are the easiest for beginners  ::)So I turned it into a stem  >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Dovetail- stemmed?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 10:36:04 am »
Lookin good Tracy.  dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 03:26:01 pm »
Love that Obs. Sweet point, I like the profile. Haft it up & make a pig sticker out of it.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:26:21 pm »
Good lookin point Tracy,I always did like the looks of Maghony obsidian. I used to have a lot of trouble getting corner notch type points even or symetrrical, I now take a marker and draw on both sides, an if they don't look even erase an redraw until ya like the looks, then just a matter of keeping the same depth, If one stalls on me I resort to punch notching to catch up to the other side. Hope this helps some. Later Bob

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:22:22 pm »
Looks good man, I'm like bob. I pencil my notches to get the symetry then notch.  ;) the key is thinning the base early. Gotta get the base thin to get notches that look very good :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 08:38:23 pm »
Good lookin point Tracy,I always did like the looks of Maghony obsidian. I used to have a lot of trouble getting corner notch type points even or symetrrical, I now take a marker and draw on both sides, an if they don't look even erase an redraw until ya like the looks, then just a matter of keeping the same depth, If one stalls on me I resort to punch notching to catch up to the other side. Hope this helps some. Later Bob
Thank you Derik, Tower, Will, and Bob!

I would agree Bob and Will! I'll have to put a marker in the tool kit. And yes, thin to win 8)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 09:33:24 am »
That's some fine knapping there Tracy! Looks nice and clean. I don't know what happend to my Waldorf book but know exactly what your talking about - the simple corner notched point, ha. Still have that picture in back of my mind. Was my goal for awhile..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.