Author Topic: Bamboo bow  (Read 11934 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo bow
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 04:08:29 pm »
It will work. I have made hickory backed boo flooring bows that came out pretty well. You could probably make a self(?) bow out of it also.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline markinengland

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 05:18:12 pm »
Re handle area. I think I'll try shooting it as it is. As it is an experiment I may then bind on a handle slat of about 12 inches. This may behave like an internal penobscot limb, acting as handle and centre stiffener. It may also allow me to narrow the handle area to get a bit more centre shot. I think this could be quite a good bow to make in a bow making workshop. A bit of work but not too much and some basic tillering on one limb to get a nice little shooting bow.
I haven't shot this bow yet. Still a fair amount of work to do tillering wise. I like the feel of the flexible limbs though and just know it will be fun to shoot. I may cut some of my Jap Arrow bamboo for some light long arrows.
Dave, you may be dissappointed in the CDs. A very motly collection, even if there are lots of them! We have good beer all over so if you ever want to pop in for some real beer you would be very welcome. A real ale/cider pub with everthing on the pumps would be an experience!
Tillering so far has been sides and back! It feels odd to be  tillering on the back, but what else cna you do to keep the rind untouched on the belly?
A good bit of this is based on a Butanese bow I ws told about by Tim on paloeplanet. Here are some pics.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/MarkinEngland/primitive%20bows/bamboobow3.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/MarkinEngland/primitive%20bows/bamboobow2.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/MarkinEngland/primitive%20bows/bamboobow1.jpg
If the "billets" are taken from right next to each other and the basic width taper is the same they should be almost self tillering. They are nailed to each other, though being a western craftsman I will use a hammer rather than pliers to knock the nail in with! After nailing (to stop the slats from sliding) they are bound together. The bow is heat treated, apparently quite scorched I think. The inner surface of the bamboo is the back. They creak a bit when used but apparently shoot well. A Butanese local team beat a group of US guys with modern wooden bows and arrows. The full Butanese bow will be my next bamboo bow.
Mark

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 09:08:09 pm »
That's very interesting! thanks for posting the pic's.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 10:18:26 pm »
  Mark,If the inner surface is the back.Are the Nodes ground so you have a smooth surface to mate to the belly piece?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline markinengland

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 05:59:02 pm »
Mullet,
No, I have left the belly untouched. I was thinking that a thick piece of bamboo orientated the same way would have about the same curve so snuggle in quite tight or at least enough to support and stiffen the centre. Haven't tried it of course so it may not work  ;D
Mark

Offline gpw

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 08:59:56 am »
Wow!!! What a great take-down bow....
 Thanks Pat, I'll try it out...