Author Topic: Snakey Osage stave question  (Read 4859 times)

Offline okie64

Re: Snakey Osage stave question
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 11:45:31 am »
If it were me I think I would make a long,lean elb outta that stave as is, but its not me, its you Kip. Like others have already said It will work either way, just depends on what tou want out of it. Is that one of the pieces I sent ya? I dont remember sending one that looked lime that.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 12:24:55 pm »
Jamie ELB??? Interesting would you straighten it? I haven't seen a snakey ELB??? Now I am very curious rounded belly is one thing but ELB is another isn't it?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:58:14 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline okie64

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 12:53:54 pm »
I dont know all the technicalities of what qualifies as an elb Kip. When I say elb I just mean a long, skinny bend thru the handle bow with a semi rounded belly. I would straighten it enough for the tips to line up but other than that leave the character in it. Thats just me though.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 12:59:17 pm »
Thanks Jamey...  Brock sent this picture looks to be what you're talking about

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline bcbull

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 01:10:52 pm »
exactly what im saying  round that belly  sorta make it elb style it ll work either way but the snakes way more prettir   ;D brock

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 03:19:10 pm »
Id cut in half and make the ends the handle. The narrow part would then be at the tips.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 06:33:13 pm »
Hedge really isn't much suited to an ELB style, being as heavy as it is.  and if that 1" wavy section is like ones I've had, you can easily wind with with 3/4" width once its smoothed on the sides.

That said, thats a pretty snakey stave you posted there coaster!
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bcbull

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 06:54:15 pm »
TOM THAT BOW HAS BEEN TILLERD OUT IT S AT EXACTLY 58# AFTER OVER 600 SHOTS THRU IT  IV MADE SEVERAL OSAGE LONG BOWS  HEDGE AINT AS HEAVEY AS YA THINK  AND IT STILL SITS AT 1 IN WIDE  BROCK >:D

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 07:01:45 pm »
Brock she's pretty, no doubt.  On that pretty of a stave I could see going that route just to preserve the symmetry.  On the stave the OP has, I don't see the same opportunity.  On the other hand, if he cut and spliced he could have a better chance making one of those.

What kind of cross section does that bow have?  at an inch wide I don't suppose its 5/8" thick is it?  So its a longbow, but not an ELB per se?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bcbull

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 08:23:56 pm »
tom  thats about 1 wide  5/8 at handel maybe 3/4 never measured it now has leather on it goes to about 1/2 thicK 1/4 wiDe at tip s thats one of the twisted sisters  the worst one of the lot it s 66 n t n but i love this bow had it on display at mojam last year while i was workin it iv made some even worse n that stave kip has  thats about aLL I DO anymore is snakey twisted staves what u guys throw away is what i like lol  dean will tell ya haha i love the challange brock

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 11:05:35 pm »
I wouldn't throw that stave away!  I don't remember seeing it last year but probably did.  Where do you camp at MOJAM?  I don't run across primo snakey stuff very often, so I do focus mostly on clean hedge.  I tend to get more stuff like the OP has, fairly straight but one big whoop de doo in a crappy place.  I have many pieces like that in storage.  Never throw anything away, someday I'll work it, sure.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bcbull

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 02:46:59 am »
lenny last year i had my big 38 ft 5 th wheel up on the hill usaly im hangin with dvs chris kerry b and me are always togather i had a bunch of snaky ones this year . i agree with ya never throw any away bro i think u n me  met haha just waiting or all the guys to get out here elk hunting in a few weeks   brock

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 10:26:13 am »
I'd make a take down putting the ends in the sleeves. But I think takedowns are cool so I could be bias.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline coaster500

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 11:00:12 am »
Thanks guys for the feedback

I'm going to cut it...  looking at the narrow area at the bend you can see the weird split to the right of it...  well it does the same thing on the belly side and does not leave enough wood under the left edge for a rounded belly but leaves plenty for a limb closer to the tip if I cut and flip it...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:58:08 pm by coaster500 »